Percussion Midi Maps xml files

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

shnootre
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by shnootre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:12 am

Greetings

I am moving Finale to a new computer. I've got everything working, but I can't seem to copy over the percussion midi map xml files.

Even if I navigate, on the new computer, to the networked drive of my old computer, and get to the MIDI Device Annotation Folder, I do not see all xml files for homemade percussion maps that I painstakingly made on the old computer. I just see basic maps for Garritan Personal Orchestra, General Midi, JABB Drums and Percussion and SmartMusic SoftSynth.

Looking at that same folder from within Finale on my old computer, I see all of the xml files for the percussion maps I created.

When I look at this folder in the finder on either computer, I also don't see the homemade midi map xmls.

Is there anything I can do to avoid having to recreate all the missing maps?

n.b. when I open the Score Manager for the file on the new computer, the percussion LAYOUTS all came along with the file just fine, but the percussion MAPS are italicized and unavailable on the computer!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:42 am

shnootre wrote:… I am moving Finale to a new computer. I've got everything working, but I can't seem to copy over the percussion midi map xml files.

Even if I navigate, on the new computer, to the networked drive of my old computer, and get to the MIDI Device Annotation Folder, I do not see all xml files for homemade percussion maps that I painstakingly made on the old computer. I just see basic maps for Garritan Personal Orchestra, General Midi, JABB Drums and Percussion and SmartMusic SoftSynth.

Looking at that same folder from within Finale on my old computer, I see all of the xml files for the percussion maps I created.

When I look at this folder in the finder on either computer, I also don't see the homemade midi map xmls …
The reason is that there are two different Finale {folder hierarchies} - with the same folder names.

One folder hierarchy resides in the root level {system Library} folder:
Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale/…
This folder hierarchy serves as a “backup” that Finale uses, if it has to recreate its default files.

Another folder hierarchy resides in your Mac OS user account.
This is where your custom Percussion MIDI Maps (and your other custom files, e. g. Finale libraries) are stored.
By default the Library folder in your user account is hidden.
To get there, hold down the Option key, and go to
Go menu > Library
From there the path is similar to the path in the {system Library} folder:
~/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale/…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

shnootre
Finale Version: 25

Post by shnootre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Yup - that did it. That's really confusing! Thank you!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples