Cautionary accidentals on Finale 25X

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:02 pm

I just got Finale 25 X on a High Sierra Mac, and when I tried to do cautionary accidentals with the plug in, it didn't seem to do anything unless I had "auto freeze accidentals", which put accidentals on everything. With my old Finale 2009, when I used cautionary accidentals, it would do what was expected and put them in only on the notes that had accidentals one or two measures previously. I should mention that the piece I'm working on, has a lot of accidentals, but I have it set for the key of C because I didn't want a key signature.
Capricorn

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:10 am

Capricorn,

I am unable to reproduce your problem.
For me the plug-in works as it should.

Does the problem happen in all Finale documents? Or is the problem document specific?

Can you provide exact steps to reproduce the problem?
Like “Begin with an empty Document Without Libraries …”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 am

Capricorn wrote:I should mention that the piece I'm working on, has a lot of accidentals, but I have it set for the key of C because I didn't want a key signature.
How did you set up the keyless notation? Finale 25 has a different method compared to previous versions. If you use the Setup Wizard, there is a checkbox in the pane where you set the key that must be checked in order to have keyless notation. If you do it after the fact, there is the same checkbox in the Score Manager - you must check the option on each stave you want to show as keyless.

So far as the plugin, make sure the settings are correct. This is the way it should look as far as I know:
Courtesy.png
I'd suggest you try the free JW Accidentals plugin. It has a number of additional options and has a "scan" feature that will give you a list of suggested courtesy accidentals for your approval before actually entering them.
https://www.finaletips.nu/index.php/dow ... c-plug-ins

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm

I went back and set cautionary accidentals as you said and it worked. I think somehow "courtesy accidentals" had been checked which put accidentals on everything. I found I could get rid of them by unchecking "auto freeze accidentals" but then the cautionary accidental feature didn't seem to work at all I thought I had tried very variety of checking possibilities before I wrote the forum and nothing worked! Then after fiddling around with your suggestions, it works!!! The forum always works! Thanks once again. Also, I'm going to get the JW Accidentals plugin. Thanks for the tip.
Capricorn

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:07 pm

I use the MM plug-in with the settings N recommends, then use JW Accidentals to find ties across a system break and places where the accidental is only on a grace note (I put them on the first big note as well). I find JW Accidentals not workable on its own--it gives false positives and also get confused by both transposing instruments and independent key signatures.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Now I'm confused! What is MM plugin and who is N?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 pm

MM is MakeMusic, the sellers of Finale. The plug-in is the one you've been using. "N" is "N Grossingink", who answered you above. It sounds like by choosing the proper settings you're all set now.