Disappearing Cursor

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SamGroude
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by SamGroude » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:42 pm

I am working in the latest version of Finale 25 on a Mac. When using Speedy Note Entry, when I try to place the cursor where I want it (so I can type the note's duration number), the cursor often just disappears off the screen. This also happens sometimes when I use the up/down arrows to move the cursor to a different pitch before entering the note's duration. It usually takes several attempts at placing the cursor (which I do by left clicking) to get it to stay in place. Could this possibly be caused by my computer being in the process of an automatic back-up at the same time I am trying to place the cursor?

Any suggestions for how to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:55 pm

My first guessess:

1) A stuck key on the computer keyboard (physically stuck or electronically stuck).
To release a “physically stuck” key, tap the key.
For “electronically stuck”, try a reboot.

2) Perhaps you are viewing the Finale document at an odd zoom percentage.
Try a “simple” zoom percentage, like 200 % or 100 %.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SamGroude
Finale Version: 27

Post by SamGroude » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks Peter. Checked for stuck keys and rebooted but the issue persists. I have been viewing at 100% so I don't think that is the cause.

I am wondering if something is going on in the background of my computer that causes me to have to wait for the cursor.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:02 pm

SamGroude wrote:… I am wondering if something is going on in the background of my computer that causes me to have to wait for the cursor.
I suppose that you have not (yet) tried a brand new user account? (as a test, not as a solution)

Problems can be caused by incorrect, conflicting or corrupt user preferences across a range of different frameworks; corrupt user cache files; problem processes that the user is running.
Testing the problem in a brand new user account can identify whether the problem is system-wide (i.e. a direct problem with application code and the OS); or some issue relating to the user account as listed, which can be fixed locally.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:30 am

I have this problem regularly but in my case it's not a matter of the cursor disappearing but more that the cursor has become a caret, or a thin line, (one can get a similar problem in word processors) and, on a busy screen full of music, it becomes very difficult to see. The MacOS has a solution for this: if you move the mouse (or your fingers on the trackpad) back and forth quickly, the cursor turns whatever the icon for the mouse had become into the standard pointer and it is temporarily shown very large, which is impossible to miss. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam