Inserting page numbers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:03 am

Finale 25.5.0.259
Mac, OS 10.13.6

I want to insert page numbers into a score I am working on. I have followed the instructions in the User's Manual punctiliously and done so repeatedly, trying various permutations of settings like the right-page option and others that are not mentioned in the manual in connection with the page-number dialog. Every time, the page number only appears on the first page. I used not to have this problem with earlier versions of Finale.

Can the problem be that the User's Manual has not been fully updated? Or that it does not in every respect apply to the Mac version of Finale 25?

I may have to go through my score, inserting a page number manually on every page. But I would much prefer to do it globally. Can anyone suggest why I am having this difficulty? Thank you in anticipation of insights and suggestions.
Michael Graubart.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 am

At the top of the dialog it say "Attach to" and you can pick all pages there.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 am

One suggestion I have is to open the default file and study the settings there. if you duplicate those settings, you should get a desirable result.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 am

Thank you, motet and Zuill. But I am obviously being really obtuse: motet, what dialog? And what is meant by 'pick pages'? I just want to insert page numbers into my score. And Zuill, what default file? Where do I find it?
Michael Graubart.

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:17 am

And now I have once again to reply to myself. I shut my computer down last night. This morning I had another go at inserting page numbers into my score according to the User Manual instructions, and it worked perfectly easily. Had there been something amiss with my computer and Finale which was cured by shutting down and re-opening? (But that is a standard therapy, and I had already tried it last night.) Or had there been something wrong with my mind which was cured by a night's sleep? Quite possibly. I have not yet mastered the left-page/right-page procedure, but I am working on it.
Michael Graubart.