Repeated notes with accidentals

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Computer: Mac, MacOS. 10.13.6.
Finale: 25.5.0.259

I have a problem with repeated notes now that I am using the new Finale. If I write sixteen repeated G sharp sixteenth-notes in one measure (all in the same octave), I find I have to sharpen each one of them to prevent them being returned to G naturals. A very tedious job, and one that was unnecessary with my old Finale. Surely the standard setting should be that a chromatically altered note should remain altered throughout the measure if immediately repeated, quite apart from more sophisticated options if the note reappears in a different octave or if not immediately repeated?

I have searched the User Manual and this Forum, tried Document Options and (as suggested in a post here) Canonic Utilities (but I am not just now writing a canon, only some repeated notes, and this plug-in will not let me!), all without success. I have a deadline to meet, and I shall fail if I have to restore every accidental on repeated notes. Help will be much appreciated.
Michael Graubart.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:58 pm

From your description it sounds like you are entering notes with the Speedy Entry Tool.

Try the Simple Entry Tool - and you will be surprised.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

mmike
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by mmike » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:24 pm

I've experimented with (and wondered about) this as well and, yes, in simple entry it works, but it would be very covenient if it could also be done in speedy by entering repeating notes with the enter key (which then, or first, have to be adjusted with the correct accidental) - too bad that there doesn't seem to be any setting I can find anywhere to achieve this ...
Finale 3.7 > 27.4.1, GPO5, ASUS laptop, 18.4'' display, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 Pro, Cubase

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks v. much, Peter Thomsen and mmike. I will try it. But Speedy Entry is so much more convenient, with all its tools and the Special Tools palette to hand. Can this discussion be passed on to the Finale software developers for a future update?
Michael Graubart.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:25 pm

Michael Graubart wrote:… Can this discussion be passed on to the Finale software developers for a future update?
Sure.
Go ahead, and contact the folks at MakeMusic.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Looks like Speedy QWERTY entry has worked this way at least back to Finale 2005, which is the oldest I have installed. I agree that it's not good, but I don't think anything's changed.

As far as access to Special Tools, is that different between Speedy and Simple?

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:23 pm

The old version of Finale I have is the 2004 one, I believe, but it is installed in a separate partition of my drive via Parallels Desktop, and I have not got time to investigate it just now. As for 'As far as access to Special Tools, is that different between Speedy and Simple?', my answer is 'Yes', whatever you intended with that question.
Michael Graubart.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:39 pm

On a Mac, if you want all the Gs in particular octave in one bar to become G#, in Speedy enter them as G natural then put the cursor on the first one and key option (alt) with + (including the shift key to get the + if using a keyboard without numeric pad). If you were to want them all to be G flat, you'd key option with - (no need for shift). It probably also works on Windows with the relevant modifier key (not alt, I suspect).

Does that help at all?
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Michael Graubart wrote:As for 'As far as access to Special Tools, is that different between Speedy and Simple?', my answer is 'Yes', whatever you intended with that question.
How is it different? The Special Tools are independent of the entry method--they require a switch away from Speedy or Simple. In the Window pull-down, you can open the Special Tools palette and it will always be open, regardless of entry method. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding. Please explain--we're here to help you.

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you very much, David Ward. Very curiously, after this discussion got going, I discovered the self-same procedure via the Speedy menu: Speedy/Speedy Commands. I immediately posted a detailed description here, including the observations that this applies in a given octave only, and that it can be made to apply from any particular appearance of a note in a given measure, first or later, (by selecting any particular appearance of the specified note in that measure).

For some reason this post of mine has not appeared.
Michael Graubart.