Creating Fingering Diagrams

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kenperlman
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by kenperlman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 pm

I am working on a 5-string banjo project in tablature. I am trying to create fingering diagrams to locate below a piece (referring to them with typographical symbols such as * etc.). I found how I can modify the guitar chord diagram feature to create a banjo diagram with custom fingering, and even how I can drag that diagram to sit below the piece on the page.

However, I do NOT want to show diagrams for the regular chord accompaniment symbols (the symbols are enough). And although the manual refers to being able to show diagrams regionally, I can't find a way to make all the regular chord diagrams on the page go away.

Can anyone help?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:38 pm

I suppose that a custom staff style could hide the fretboards?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

kenperlman

Post by kenperlman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:15 pm

This doesn't seem to be helpful. If I uncheck that box all diagrams go away (which can also be achieved by simply unchecking the show FRetboard item on the Chord Menu). What I need is to make diagrams go away selectively .. .

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:50 pm

You could add a stave below your existing one and use that to display the special fretboards you made, while unchecking fretboard display (Staff Attributes) on the stave where you want only chord symbols. Add the stave and in Staff Attributes uncheck the display of every item except fretboards.

Worth a try, maybe.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:17 pm

kenperlman wrote:This doesn't seem to be helpful. If I uncheck that box all diagrams go away (which can also be achieved by simply unchecking the show FRetboard item on the Chord Menu). What I need is to make diagrams go away selectively .. .
I could be wrong here, but I suspect that you are looking at the Staff Attributes, not at a custom staff style.

Staff Attributes are “global” = for all the measures in the staff, in the entire document.

A staff style can be applied “locally”.

If I understand you correctly, you need to display fingering diagrams below the piece, and not display diagrams for the regular chord accompaniment symbols, right?

I would
- in the Staff Attributes de-select the display of Fretboards (this step will make all fretboards go away, but do not worry),
- add an extra measure after the last measure,
- lock this extra measure in a separate system, below the piece,
- apply a custom staff style to this extra measure so that it does display Fretboards - but nothing else (= de-select all other items).

In Other Words, this custom staff style is the exact opposite of the staff style I showed in my screen shot.

Geddit?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

kenperlman

Post by kenperlman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:29 am

This worked. Thanks so much!!