playback a single measure doesn't start

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicianech
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by musicianech » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 pm

I've used finale 2014 in Windows 7 for about a year, and it worked just fine. Now, suddenly,

playback a single measure doesn't start in finale - when I press [space] the ear

comes up, but no green line, and absolutely nothing happens. Normal playback works

OK, but when I'm composing let's say the 27th measure, I do not want to hear

everything before. Please, help, if you know what the heck this is.
NOTE At 1st try to register here I got an error message, "Akismet says you are a

spammer". It did not recognize the ".me" domain. As a system programmer with a

CompSci degree, and a webmaster since the ethernet era, I say, I would never use

crap like Akismet in a public site. It finds false clues in droves, sending away

customers. Beware!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:58 pm

Set your playback to Begin at Leftmost Measure.

Assuming you’re in scroll view while composing, this makes it easy. You do have to use the controls, rather than the spacebar.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

musicianech
Finale Version: 2014

Post by musicianech » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi:
Thanks for bothering to answer. Unfortunately, your reply is unusable.
[1] The problem is, as it was stated, I want to playback NOT the leftmost, but anywhere.
[2] It is much faster to use spacebar + click than any command. What I wanted to know, if anyone had heard about this non-starting-playback error, after a year of working perfectly. Now it seems I have to uninstall and reinstall.
NOTE
The playback alternative you stated is not found in the 2014 version
Regards
Erik

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Usually there's not a need to reinstall Finale. I've never had to do that in 22 years. Sometimes recreating preferences is a way to get the same result.

Spacebar-click should works as expected. It does not use HP, however, so if that is needed, then you're out of luck. Starting from the leftmost bar is a usable feature. That does use HP, so you will have the full scope of features available with HP.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."