Measure Numbers Below Measure Distance

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Nick Mazuk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi There,

I like having measure numbers below every measure in the score to speed up the rehearsal process. I'm trying to find a way to make them appear the same distance below the system no matter how large score is. For instance, they should always be 1 inch below the score (I just picked a number).

I use this method with different size scores (like octets to orchestra) and therefore the system scaling can vary quite a bit. The normal position settings with the measure tool will scale with the system settings. So on large scores the numbers are too close and on smaller scores the numbers are too far. The numbers are set with a fixed font size to ensure readability for every size score.

To try to get around this, I have a JW Lua script that automatically inserts the numbers. I could try to simply look at the scaling of the first measure and adjust the position setting accordingly, but this won't work for scores where the number of any instruments change on each page.

Any suggestions? I've included a sample document to show what I mean in the extreme case as well as the JW Lua script. Solutions don't need to involve JW Lua.

Thank you

Finale 25.5
macOs High Sierra 10.13.6
Nick

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Unless your parts are all different sizes, you may be able to make do with the fact that you can have different settings for score and parts.

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm not worried about the parts. I'm more concerned about the actual score and I am not messing with the part measure numbers at all.

I guess you could say that I'm looking for "fixed positioning" in the same way that fonts can have "fixed size". And if that isn't a thing, some way to use JW Lua to make it appear like that is a thing.
Nick

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:40 pm

I think trying to find a "one size fits all" solution would be difficult. In your sample, if the Percussion 3 stave has notes on the staff, any dynamics would appear directly below the stave and you could snug up the measure numbers closer than, let's say a bass clarinet where the notation hangs a lot lower. Just a thought.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3