entering triplets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hwmcswain
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by hwmcswain » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:13 pm

I've searched the forum for help on this matter, and I can't find the solution. Here's my system: Windows 10, Intel 7 processor, 8 gig RAM, 110 gig of hard disk space. Plenty of power and room.

In 4/4 time, I'm entering the following notes:
double-dotted quarter note; sixteenth note (2 beats)
an eighth note triplet (1 beat)

Problem: I can't enter the last eighth note in the last triplet.

Perhaps two factors: the original was pulled in from an .mxl file---meaning that I don't know if there is underlying midi data that's trumping what I want to insert.
What's odd is that in the import that it'll snag six quarter notes in the space of the last two beats, and they work and sound just fine.

Here's another issue pertaining: in a fresh, unimported score, I tried entering the---
---and again, it won't take the last eighth note of the triplet, this meaning that there's no underlying midi data to mess up the situation.

ERGO, can anybody tell me how to enter:
---so that it will include the last 1/8 note of the final triplet?

Thanks, folks.

Hal
Hal
Windows 10; 8 gig ram, Pentium i7 processor, > 100 gig free hard drive space
Finale 25, latest update

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm

How are you entering notes? Simple or Speedy? Mouse, QWERTY keyboard, or MIDI keyboard?

There are a number of ways to do what you ask.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mainterm
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by mainterm » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 pm

This is above my pay-grade, but I can add that I just entered what you described without any problem. Just straight forward note entry and it was fine. I'm on MacOS, finale 25.5.

Good luck!

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi Hal,

What's worked for me in the past with similar situations is to go to the Simple Entry Options and deselect "Check for Extra Notes". Then input your last triplet. Then reselect "Check for Extra Notes".

The reason why I've had to do this in the past is that triplets are 1/3 the value of beat. Yet computers don't have a good way to represent 1/3. So they have to do a decimal approximation (like 0.33333333). It very well could be that the underlying issue is a floating point error based on this.

Either way, try deselecting "Check for Extra Notes" and see if that helps.
Nick

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm

It sounds like Hal is using the external Tuplet tool to convert notes to triplets after the fact. Otherwise, there's no need to turn off "check for extra notes," floating point not withstanding. In Simple entry, enter the first note of the tuplet, then press Alt+9; if the default is not "3 (Use current duration) in the space of 2 (use current duration)" then make it so. Press OK and complete the triplet. From then on you need only enter the first note, then press 9 (no Alt).