No print box

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:12 am

ebiggs1 wrote:So far the parts don't show up but that may be that I just have not done a Manager Parts yet.
Please explain. We assume that you have generated parts, and that they are listed in the Edit Part menu, right ?
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:37 pm

If all you want is to make PDFs of the score and parts, ...

Actually I would like, prefered, for it to work as expected. I really want to use my HP printer. I am just happy I got it to PDF for now. I had a rehearsal with Bones Midwest on Saturday so I needed the music ASAP.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Juno
Finale Version: v25

Post by Juno » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Finale 25.5.290
I found this problem after intalling a new printer, HP Envy Photo 7134. the print box is ok. when this printer is selected as default, I can print off one part then the box empties. I check the same part on my laptop and the same thing happens. If I then select another printer as default the box remains empty. The only way to get the print box back is to close Finale and restart.
I have two more printers HP 7110 and HP Officejet 5740. I do not get this problem with these two printers.
The only "fix" I can find is not to use the printer with Finale. I don't know if the problem with Finale and new printers or with the printer.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Are you Windows 10 Pro with the latest update? May affect the Home edition too I don't know. Anyway try disabling the MS Print to PDF in services.msc.
I have to use a PDF maker like Cute or Nova as default. Print something. Than Finale works as usual. I can use any of my three printer until I shut Finale down. I have to start the process all over again.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

Juno
Finale Version: v25

Post by Juno » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:54 pm

I have windows 10 home with the latest update, but I do find after some updates the computer loses contact with the printers both wireless and USB.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Below is the latest reply from MM. It isn't any help, however, as he just tells me to do what he already told me to try. I explained to him it doesn't work. I don't know why he keeps repeating it. You might ry it and see if it helps you.
Zachary C. (MakeMusic)
Aug 21, 8:58 AM MDT
Hi Ernie,

Thank you for following up with me! We do want our products to work as intended but, unfortunately, we do not have immediate solutions for some problems. We are aware of the issue though and are working on a solution. In the meantime, you can try these steps to get your dialog box working as intended:
1. Close Finale
2. Press the WINDOWS Key and type "Control Panel"
3. Select the Control Panel Desktop App
4. In the Control Panel window, select Hardware and Sound
5. Select Devices and Printers
6. Right-click the Microsoft XPS Document Writer
7. Select Set as Default Printer
8. Your computer may prompt you with a Setting this printer as default means Windows will stop managing your default printer. Press OK in this case.
9. Relaunch Finale and attempt to print your files.

In the meantime, I also want to make sure that you are looking in the correct place for the Export to PDF feature. Instead of going to the Print menu, you will instead need to go to "File > Export > PDF". I also wanted to reiterate that you can still print with the blank dialog box. At the moment, that dialog box is solely there to allow you to pick individual parts to print. There is nothing preventing you from printing from the full score. I hope that all helps out but please let me know if you have any other questions.

All Best,
Zachary C. | Customer Success Representative | MakeMusic, Inc.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Again one reason this doesn't work is if you have a different size score and parts. Without being able to select certain settings in the print box you will get a printer error for incorrect paper size. You could force all to the larger paper size but then you will have to trim it.

I think the MM tech thinks I am too ignorant to know what I am doing. Possibly so because I freely admit I am not a computer guru. Some of us aren't. It is still on them to get it to work correctly. Not me and certainly not MS. I have come up with a work around that works for me.