Copyable staff styles in parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Harpsi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Harpsi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Hello,

no matter what I do I cannot have my staff styles to follow along in a simple copy and paste. AFAIK I have set everything correctly. I think I read somewhere that this is a long standing bug, correct me if I am wrong. I am still on 2014.5, is this different in finale 25?

TIA
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 pm

For me, copy and pasting Staff Styles within a score or within a part works fine (Staff Styles checked in the filter). I seem to remember a suggested caution that one should always use metatools when entering a Staff Style. The default for this entry procedure is that the Style is automatically shown in the score and parts. You might play around with these ideas and see if it makes a difference.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:00 pm

This is a known issue that MM is aware of, but hasn't fixed yet. When you copy/paste measures with copyable styles in the score, they appear in score, but not the part. If you then right click the bar above, you can choose to have it appear in both. If you are in the part, you have to go back to the score to see them, and then right click to choose the option to show in both.

I do hope they have fixed this in the upcoming new release, but if history proves anything, I am not expecting they will have addressed this egregious issue.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:53 am

Thanks to you both.

Have been living with this for so long time, but only now investigated it. Yes, within score or part seems to be the only possible way. Copying between parts does not work either.

The preview video they released the other day gives a bit of hope. If there's more where that came from it will be fantastic. We'll see.
Windows 11

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Christopher Smith » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 pm

This is a long-standing bug that has existed since linked parts were first created (version 2007). They claim to have fixed it, but they didn't, as Zuill pointed out.

His fix works, but I find it a little too complex for general work. Here's what I do:

Once I have finished the score, I am in the Score. In the Staff Tool select ALL. From the Staff Menu click "Use selected staff styles for score and parts." Now every staff style shows properly in the parts.

There is an additional possibility. When you create a new Staff Style yourself, there is a check box "Copyable". This check box is NOT checked by default, and you might omit to check it. This means that THIS staff style will not copy. Check that out in your particular case.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:18 pm

It's not a bad idea anyway to always do this sort of major editing in the score, and reserve part work for cosmetic things such as layout.

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:05 am

Well, to late for doing it the smart way now in acts 1 and 2, but now I hopefully know how I will go about for act 3.

I am using the method for creating titles described somewhere in the old forum (one bar, one line, everything set to be hidden except title expression). After finishing the score, I typically create a parts score where I do all TGTools tricks (splitting 2 instr per staff to separate staves) and cueing etc. I guess it is in this phase that some of my titling staff styles are lost. Before going on with splitting this file further, I will make sure to copy the staff style for all titles, select all and apply to parts/score. Maybe this will save me some time. When I am at it again, I will pay closer attention to see exactly when the staff styles go away.
Windows 11