Rest placement when using two layers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:20 pm

I have Finale 25X running on High Sierra and I have a question about rest placement when using two layers. Is there a way to avoid going over the whole piece and manually moving the rests in the second layer so they don't bump into notes on the first layer in just one section of the music? It's a piano part so I have lots of sections that have this problem but if I try to correct it in Document Options, changing the steps in "adjust floating rests," it changes everywhere. I just want it to happen in one group of measures.
Capricorn

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 pm

Sadly, you can have only one default placement for rests - adjustments to individual or several misplaced must be made manually. You can always set the default to a different amount (under Layer Options) in hopes of getting good placement on the majority of them.

I use the Simple Entry Tool and find that is fastest for individual adjustments. Try this - select the Simple Tool. Hold down the Option (Alt.) key; the mouse cursor turns into an arrow. Click on a rest (hold the mouse button down as you click); the rest highlights. Move the mouse up or down to move the rest. There is also a plugin (Move Rests) in the Note, Beam and Rest Editing folder.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks for this. I figured as much but I wanted to check with the forum before I gave up. Sometimes I'll spend hours trying to do something that can't be done so it's good to know I'll just have to continue doing what I was doing.
Capricorn

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Jari's JW Change plugin is useful for this. Still needs to be done manually, but it does save time, from my experience.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 pm

I just discovered the the plug-in, "Move rests" did exactly what I needed. It moves the rests in the highlighted area but not universally. There's so much in Finale lying there undiscovered, especially when you go from 2009 to 25X.
Capricorn