Chords: How to type suffixes into score? "mi7"

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

creolejazz
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by creolejazz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Finale 25.5.0.290
Windows 10

I've started a brand new file/score using the Setup Wizard and chose a "Document Style": General/Handwritten Style (Jazz Font).

I'm trying to type in chords using the computer keyboard. Simple ones like Eb, Bb, etc. work fine. Even adding a "7" works (Bb7, Eb7).

But when I type anything with a suffix more complicated than that (Bbmi7, Bbmi, Bbmin, BbMaj) I get the "Could not find chord suffix 'mi7'. Would you like to add it to the chord suffix library?" message.

I can see the "mi7" suffix and others in the list, but typing "mi7" doesn't work. As per the manual, if I type Bb:44, it works and Bbmi7 appears.

How do I get it to work so that when I TYPE "Bbmi7", "BbMaj", etc., it actually finds and uses the correct suffix?

Thanks.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:09 pm

I believe that the default jazz font uses the JazzCord font chord suffixes, which are font characters. Because of that, shortcuts won't work for anything beyond the basics. You will have to do it manually as you have discovered.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

creolejazz

Post by creolejazz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 pm

Ok, thanks.

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:15 pm

Click YES when it asks if you want to add to Library.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Another idea:
File menu > Load Library…
Load the {chord suffix} library JazzText.

While in the JazzCord font each font character is a complete suffix (like e. g. mi7 which can be entered by typing È), in the JazzText font each character is a single glyph so that a suffix like mi7 must be composed of 3 individual characters: m i 7.

When you have loaded the JazzText chord suffix library, the JazzText suffixes will be added to the bottom of the dialog box Chord Suffix Selection.
When the JazzText library is loaded, {Type Into Score} will work as expected.

NB:
Accidentals in chord symbols are NOT from the JazzText font, but rather from the Jazz font.
This is important for Type Into Score, so that typing ‘b’ will result in a flat accidental, not the letter ‘b’.

PS
Before you load the JazzText library, you might like to delete all the already existing suffixes (which you do not want, since they are using the JazzCord font).
This is done in the dialog box Chord Suffix Selection.
You do not have to delete the JazzCord suffixes one by one.
Before you click the button Delete, you can select multiple suffixes, via click and Shift-click.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

creolejazz

Post by creolejazz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:Another idea:
File menu > Load Library…
Load the {chord suffix} library JazzText.

When the JazzText library is loaded, {Type Into Score} will work as expected.
Perfect. Thanks so much.