PDFs, Finale 25, Mac

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Some time ago it was pointed out by Peter Thomsen that PDFs exported via the graphics tool had advantages over those made via the print dialogue. True black was one (which has not really been noticed by me on my system either way), while file size was another. I had a fairly dramatic illustration of the second today. I made some minor revisions scattered through a 90 minute 2,000 bar piece for quite modest vocal & orchestral forces. Until today, the PDF in which I had from time to time replaced an edited page via the print dialogue was 21MB. Today I decided to renew the whole PDF file in one go from the edited Finale file, but this time via the graphics tool: the result was just 6.4MB. (For me as far as I can judge it seems to print the same, but it's definitely useful to have the smaller file, both for storage and for e-mailing &c.)

I thought this might be of interest.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Also, some publishers demand that PDFs are in true Black-&-White.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:40 am

Because of this post, I decided to play around with the PDFs via the graphics tool. I've always used the print dialogue. Do you know how to export the score and all the parts at the same time with the graphics tool?
Nick

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:41 am

Nick Mazuk wrote:… Do you know how to export the score and all the parts at the same time with the graphics tool?
I do not know of a way, sorry.

In my experience, the Graphics Tool exports the score or part you are viewing.

My guess is that you have to export them one at a time.

To speed up things a little,
- create a keyboard shortcut to export the current score/part,
- use the built-in keyboard shortcut to switch to the next part.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:21 am

...via the print dialogue was 21MB. Today I decided to renew the whole PDF file in one go from the edited Finale file, but this time via the graphics tool: the result was just 6.4MB.
Does anyone know what the excess 14.6MB was used for in the original file? I am just curious.

Cheers,
Hector.

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:00 am

Hector Pascal wrote:
...via the print dialogue was 21MB. Today I decided to renew the whole PDF file in one go from the edited Finale file, but this time via the graphics tool: the result was just 6.4MB.
Does anyone know what the excess 14.6MB was used for in the original file? I am just curious.

Cheers,
Hector.
I would guess that embedding the complete fonts (all symbols) could cause that.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Hector Pascal

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:49 pm

I remember in the old days, a composer would send a PDF finale score to another person. It would then come to light that the recipient's PDF reveals some differences from the original PDF. This problem seemed to go away in more recent times...

Is the graphic tool method of PDF creation considered "as safe" as the Print>PDF route, or safer, with regard to this abovementioned problem. I just ask the question, as I make PDF scores available and would like to be very confident in their fidelity. I am impressed with the smaller PDF file size resulting from the graphic tool method, and the true black, and am only assuming there is nothing important being left out of the small file size.

One has to be, more and more, and all-round consummate computer geek to understand what Finale is doing.

Cheers,
Hector.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Hector Pascal wrote: Does anyone know what the excess 14.6MB was used for in the original file? I am just curious.

Cheers,
Hector.
Yes. It exports grey scale (usually 256 shades but some drivers see it as 16 shades) instead of true black.

This seems to be Finale 25 Mac only. In 2014.5, PDF in the Print menu is true black as is Export/Graphics/pdf. I don't recall 2014 but that feature is unavailable in 2011 and earlier. When I tested it in 2016, every older version I had back to 1998 gives you true black from the print/pdf.

MM has never publicly acknowledged it as a bug but it would be nice if it is addressed in 26. Not only is grey scale unnecessary when we want black but certain print drivers freak out (some Brother Laser printers) when presented with the output.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 pm

MM has never publicly acknowledged it as a bug but it would be nice if it is addressed in 26. Not only is grey scale unnecessary when we want black but certain print drivers freak out (some Brother Laser printers) when presented with the output.
Yup. I have an MFC-L2740DW Brother printer with this problem--Mac only. Finale 25x printed fine in Windows on the Brother. I'm eager to test Finale 26. From what I've seen of the promoted improvements, testing the printing will be the sole determinant in whether or not I upgrade.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2