Swap regions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:15 pm

I do the following a lot (happens with clave-based composition as I keep changing which side of the clave I want to use after listening to large sections of a composition.) I'd like to swap a single measure (or region for that matter) with another measure; not necessarily for all staffs. What I do now is not to bad, I just copy measure 1 (the first one to be replaced, not musical measuring numbering) with measure 2; paste measure 1 somewhere after the end of the piece (or in a similar staff set in another window), then I pickup measure two and overwrite measure 1, get the temporary, put it into measure 2. Repeat.

The feature I'd like (in Finale as well as in Windows for that matter) is to have two copy buffers. I did once have a text editor that could do this. Then, I'd do two copy operations, then two paste operations, but no writing to the temporary.

I don't know if Finale or Windows has this feature (or any of the add-ons.)

Finale Version No. 25.5.0.290
Windows 10

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:29 pm

You can do it by combining Finale’s two ways of copy/paste.
I do it all the time:

1) Select the first measure, and Copy to Finale’s “music clipboard” (= Ctrl-C).

2) Select the other measure, hold down the correct modifier key (perhaps the Alt key, I am not sure), and click on the first measure.
Now the contents of the other measure has been copied into the first measure.

But in the “music clipboard” you still have the contents of the first measure.

3) Select the other measure (probably not necessary; the other measure is still selected, I guess), and Paste the contents from the “music clipboard” (= Ctrl-V).

That is it.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by ttw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks, Peter. Sounds good. I'll give it try. I didn't know about the <alt> key stuff.