Making booklets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 am

Hi all,
It's been a while since I've had to think about making score and parts booklets, but here's my plan of attack:

I'll export the score and parts finale files to PDF using the graphics tool (as per advice on the other threads in this forum), and then manually organise them in Preview (wish me luck). Then print at my local self-service shop. And I guess I'll have to staple them. Not sure how I'll do that yet.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Hector Pascal.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:46 am

I don't know anything about Preview, but the machine at the copy shop can probably make booklets from single-sheet PDFs or a stack of printed pages (as will a ledger-size home printer).

To staple them you need a stapler called a saddle stitcher. The copy shop may have one. If they're more than a few pages, you'll want to trim the ragged right edge. Finally, I recommend putting a cover on them.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:14 am

Also, in Finale, consider making a bigger side margin in the “staple side”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jdpmus
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by jdpmus » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:51 pm

You might try this if you have a tabloid size printer. I seem to remember that I saved it from a previous post on the old Make Music forum.

In Program Options: Save and Print, make sure the checkbox next to “Use Finale’s page orientation…” is NOT selected.
In the Page Layout tool, use 8.5x11 as your page size. You’ll need the number of pages to be divisible by 4, so if you have 9 pages, add another 3 blank pages to the end.
In File: Printer Page Setup, choose 11x17, landscape orientation.
Then in the Print dialogue box, choose 2-up printing, and then in the Page Ranges box (assuming 12 pages) type:
12,1,2,11,10,3,4,9,8,5,6,7 (note each pair adds up to 13).
Save to PDF, and then print the PDF file double-sided.

I've done this several times and it works as advertised. Buy a Bostitch saddle printer and you're good to go.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:50 pm

I'm not sure what Program Options: Save and Print refers to. Long ago there was a "JW Booklet" plug-in that computed the page order for you, but nowadays if you have a tabloid printer, the printer driver will probably do that automatically.

There's really no need to have a bigger inside margin with stapling--the binding doesn't take up room, or only a tiny bit. If you want to get fancy, when you trim off the ragged right edge of the booklet after binding, the outer margin of those pages will be somewhat narrower than the inner margins and the music won't look centered. This is called "booklet creep" and can be compensated for by a program with that feature, shifting the margins slightly with each page from outer to inner. The pro version of CutePDF will do that, as will Page Maker, and there's probably something free out there as well. But unless the booklet is thick, I wouldn't bother.