Getting Finale to substitute new names for common chords

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kenperlman
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by kenperlman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm writing a book devoted banjo tablature. Quite often tunes are arranged in C or G that are meant to be capoed up to D and A, respectively. The publisher wants chord symbols for accompaniment included.

How can I get Finale to indicate something like G(A) or D(E) every time I play a G or D chord on the piano. I can get Finale to do it once through the chord definition dialog box, and of course I can write it in myself but I'm looking for something that's global.

Would appreciate some input. Thanks!!

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 pm

If you want G(A), type G as the root and create a chord suffix that is (A). You can make additional suffixes for all of the 6 remaining diatonic C major pitches. Am I even close with this suggestion?

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:26 am

kenperlman wrote:… How can I get Finale to indicate something like G(A) or D(E) every time I play a G or D chord on the piano …
One way to do it:

Using the Chord Tool entry method Type Into Score, enter the (Concert Pitch) chord as A, then hit the UpArrow key, and enter A again.
Now you have the same chord twice, like this:
A
A

The two chord symbols are going to be the simultaneous chord symbols for banjo and piano.

For the banjo chord, context-click the chord handle.
In the context menu, choose “Edit Chord Definition”.
At the bottom of the dialog box Chord Definition, set Capo At Fret: 2
Click OK.
When you return to the score, you will see that the banjo A chord now displays as G.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

kenperlman

Post by kenperlman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:16 pm

We're on the right track but three issues:

- I want to be able to play the chords in through Midi input. This method seems to have diabled that feature.

- I would like the chords to appear like this: G(A) or A(G), rather than right on top of each other. Is there a way to have it come out like that.

- is there a way to do this globally, or do I have to go through the several steps you outlined each time?

Thanks!

kenperlman

Post by kenperlman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Check that - there was nothing wrong with the feature entering chords via midi. I had unplugged the midi cables earlier today and forgot to reconnect. . .