O/T: Question about posting scores / parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:32 am

Hi all,
Does anyone on the forum routinely post scores and parts around the world, either for sale or hiring purposes?

What's the most cost effective way of doing it? Does anyone on the forum use a warehousing giant like Amazon as a pick and pack service?

Cheers,
Hector.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:48 am

For sales, sending pdf files by email or via a Dropbox link is the method I use. Cheap, as printing has to be done by the buyer, a procedure that is normal these days.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:15 am

How do you protect against the files being copied?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:02 am

Protection will always be an issue. Nothing new, who can prevent a paper score to be photocopied ?
Maybe a contract signed by the buyer can define the limits of what he can do and what he can't.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:58 pm

Hector Pascal wrote:Hi all,
Does anyone on the forum routinely post scores and parts around the world, either for sale or hiring purposes?

What's the most cost effective way of doing it? Does anyone on the forum use a warehousing giant like Amazon as a pick and pack service?

Cheers,
Hector.
Yes. But not Amazon. Can you define what would cost effective be for you?
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:12 pm

michelp wrote:Protection will always be an issue. Nothing new, who can prevent a paper score to be photocopied ?
Maybe a contract signed by the buyer can define the limits of what he can do and what he can't.
Yes, paper can be copied, but it's a lot easier to email your friend a PDF file. A contract, alas, will not deter the dishonest.

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice, everyone!

I like the idea of PDFs accompanied by a licence, so at least the recipient understands the restrictions of use (copyright etc). Automated watermarking of PDFs with the name of the recipient is possible using a plug-in, I think, but I have not gone down that road yet.

On the subject of my postage costs for sending a printed score / part:
Domestic postage = circa $8.00 for A4 / 500 grams;
International postage = circa $28.00 for 500 grams.

Let's say the cost of my score / part is $30.00, after I absorb the international postage cost myself (which is my preference), I have only $2 left over from my sale.

So, I hope to find a way to bring my international postage costs down ... hence my research into all manner of things such as amazon warehousing (whereby you pay for a cubic foot or more of space to store your product and then amazon ships it around for you), or finding a printer/distributor on each continent... I am yet to finish researching.... I'll keep looking for a way through this impasse :)

[daydream] Imagine, if some of us on the forum formed a printing/distribution co-operative whereby we used our well-honed skills and amazingly diverse geographical locations to print and bind each others' PDFs and distribute them domestically in our own cities/countries. We would never having to pay international postage again! Want your PDF score printed, bound and delivered in beautiful Belgium? Look no further. Michelp is your man! Need a PDF score printed, bound and despatched in sunny Northern California? It's Motet to the rescue! [/ daydream]... lol

Cheers,
Hector Pascal.
(Apologies again for this thread being off-topic, strictly speaking.)

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 pm

www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation