Slash quarter-gracenote

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:41 am

Friends,
How to make slash on the quarter-gracenote?
I get slashed eighths but not quarters.

thanks.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:03 pm

In the Document Options - Grace Notes, you can select an option for “automatic” slash on flagged grace notes.

However, Finale does not have a similar option for “automatic” slash on un-flagged grace notes.

You will have to add the slash “manually”, with the Articulation Tool, as a shape articulation.

Since I do not know the actual grace note settings (grace note size percentage), I can not be specific about the shape’s length and thickness.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:06 pm

So for the quarter note value (grace note) there is no slash at all, even automatic?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:02 pm

I'm just theorizing here, but...

The slashed eighth grace note is font character, with an upstem. There must be a mechanism in Finale, that allows it to be flipped to downstem. So, you might need a slashed quarter grace note to be in the font set. It's not. I looked at a couple of others, and I can't find one. Creating your own character might be the only way.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:43 pm

OCTO, some might consider a slashed quarter note to be an musical oxymoron, which might explain its absence from music fonts.

The origin of the slash through an eighth (or sixteenth note etc.) note was as an alternate way of engraving a small sixteenth note (or 32nd note etc.) when a small sixteenth note was not available to the engraver. Since these faster small notes were often acciaccaturas, the slash began to take on the connotation of a note to be played as fast as possible before the beat, which is its meaning today. Small quarter and other un-flagged notes were used to show slower effects throughout the 18th-19th centuries and to the present.

What then would a slashed quarter note represent?
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 pm

miker wrote:I'm just theorizing here, but...

The slashed eighth grace note is font character, with an upstem.
I don't think it uses that character. The red here is the font character, inserted with the Text tool. As you can see, the slash is different from the grace note.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:43 pm

You can of course add a slash with a smart line.

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:54 pm

John Ruggero wrote:OCTO, some might consider a slashed quarter note to be an musical oxymoron, which might explain its absence from music fonts.
The origin of the slash through an eighth (or sixteenth note etc.) note was as an alternate way of engraving a small sixteenth note (or 32nd note etc.) when a small sixteenth note was not available to the engraver.
I am always astonished by your additional palette of knowledge, John.

Yes indeed, the slashed notes are those of acciaccatura, and non-slashed are of appoggiatura.
The current problem is that I wish to notate different speed of acciaccaturas, in a very improvisation-like chant. Instead of making unusable ferneyh-rhythms, I thing that an easier approach would be to notate different values.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, OCTO, and your kind words. Your notation is logical, especially in context of various other note values, and possible unique—at least, I have never seen it before. The glyph should be added to SMuFL.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."