I just lost hours of work!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by tdlucas » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:42 pm

All of my work over the last three days is completely gone! I saved every edit, so it's not a matter of saving. When I opened the score just now and made one edit and tried to save it, I got a window that said Finale can't find the file, so I couldn't save it. When I closed the file, it was gone off of my desktop and out of the backup files. What can I do??

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Sorry to hear that.... Perhaps try a spotlight search for the file name, or just part of the file name and see what it comes up with. Maybe there's a copy hiding somewhere. Perhaps there is a way to show any hidden files in the finder windows? Just a thought. I guess most of us have met with similar scenarios at some point.

You have served us all with a welcome reminder to check our backup processes. I have been known to occasionally email myself my file, as a quick safety measure.

Someone else here might have more helpful advice... I wish you lots of luck going forward.

Cheers,
HP.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:18 pm

tdlucas,

Have you read the discussions here about the temp folder? If not, it's time to take that suggestion seriously. If you can't find any of the discussions, come back and I'll describe the process.

Sorry about the loss of your document. Look for the .asv file. If you don't have autosave on, that's another suggestion to follow.

Zuill
Last edited by zuill on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

jbearch

Post by jbearch » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:33 am

That happened to me recently too. I never figured out why Finale couldn't find the file anymore. Probably something corrupting the file making it invisible. I even contacted support too but they couldn't help with it either. I think Finale (at least the newer versions) can be very unforgiving when one hits a wrong key by accident. Or whatever it is that ticks it off. Of course at that time I didn't have automatic backup turned on either. So I learned my lesson. Really better to have that turned on as I have found.

Jeffrey

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:00 pm

My copyist sends me new files that are created January 1st 1970.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Interesting!

I have not heard of that issue for many years.

It could be an issue with a defect “backup battery” = the battery that powers the internal clock, which keeps track of time, day, month, year, when the computer is off.

Twenty years ago I read a notice about Mac computers whose clock always went back to august 27th, 1956 - because of a defect backup battery.
Ray Montagne who wrote software to the CUDA-microcontroller (a chip that controls PRAM and ADB on many Macs), was born august 27th, 1956.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Regarding the lost file:

This happens every so often on Windows, not so much on Mac. Recently on this forum, a Mac user had this same problem. Upon a bit of discussion, it was found that he had the Finale file open for days, without ever putting it away. This might not be the case for you. Files should be closed at the end of a work session and the computer turned off at the end of each day, in my opinion. Backups should be kept on an external drive.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:45 pm

I am not going to be of any help but a brother in circumstance. It has happened to me, very rarely. It was a problem with the temp directory. My best guess anyway. Never mess with it when Finale is open. I did a test to see if I could repeat the problem and it did. Finale is supposed to clean it or clear it out when you close. But it doesn't seem to always do that?
I always use backup and autosave. Finale is more stable now than it has been in the past but old habits are hard to break. So, I save a lot. When I do major edits I always 'save as' a new file.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

zuill

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 pm

With the unique temp folder, make sure you have a separate folder for each version of Finale. Also, when Finale is closed, clean it out. I do this quite regularly as this will make sure Finale is not trying to access an older .tmp file. Any .tmp file in the folder is not usable by Finale, as closing the folder renders them not needed. However, I believe that having many of them in the folder is confusing Finale at times, so its best to clean them out. Finale should do that automatically when closing, but the programmers have failed to make this happen. It is a design error which MakeMusic needs to fix. Meanwhile, we help Finale by removing these files.

Zuill

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm

My theory is that Finale creates these temp files it needs but doesn't keep them open or otherwise lock them while it's running, and some Windows clean-up process comes along and deletes them when Finale still needs them, with disastrous consequences. This jibes with reports of it being more likely to happen if Finale has been running a long time. Finale needs to keep them open. There's also a way to open a file and mark it for deletion automatically when Finale exits or the file is closed, which would eliminate having stray leftovers to clean up.

Nick Mazuk

Post by Nick Mazuk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Personally, I have a couple automatic backups happening to make sure that I don't lose a ton of work. I have one service that automatically backs up to the cloud continuously, another that automatically backups to the cloud every day, and an external hard drive that I backup to each week. It may be overkill, but I've never lost more than 15-20 minutes of work using this system. And if the world/internet burns down, I will still only lose a week of work.

For the future, I would recommend some backup system similar to this. Especially if you are on your computer many hours each day, it really helps to have automatic backups in place so you never have to worry about losing hours of work.
Nick

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Dropbox. All consecutive versions can be restored.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

tdlucas
Finale Version: Finale 2014 v27.0

Post by tdlucas » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm

michelp wrote:Dropbox. All consecutive versions can be restored.
How do I get Finale to automatically backup to Dropbox?

zuill

Post by zuill » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Backing up files is a good thing. But the first step is to avoid corruption. In the 22 years I've used Finale, I can count on one hand the number of times I needed to revert to a backup file.

Zuill

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:51 pm

tdlucas wrote:
michelp wrote:Dropbox. All consecutive versions can be restored.
How do I get Finale to automatically backup to Dropbox?
Install Dropbox. It creates a folder on your hard disk. The files you place in it are sent to the space you have on their server.
Put the file on which you are working in the Dropbox folder. Each time you save it, it gets uploaded to your server. Every consecutive version can be restored.
Add this to local backups (USB drive, external drive).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:06 pm

I use Box from https://www.box.com/en-gb/home which does much the same as Dropbox (which I do have as well).

For local backups I have recently found ForeverSave 2 a great boon and extremely easy to set up. It's available for a very modest charge from https://toolforcesoftware.com/ It saves as often as you set it up to for whichever applications you choose, and it keeps as many past versions as you allow.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 27.4.1.146

Post by gogreen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:47 am

When I switched from a Windows environment to Mac, I went with Freefilesync for local backup (https://freefilesync.org.) I have it set on my iMac to back up my files to an external drive and to my networked Macbook Air. For cloud backup I use iDrive.

I set Finale to autosave my work every 5 minutes and to make backups when saving files.

On my iMac, TimeMachine is on, and I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable entire backup of my hard disk.

For Windows, I absolutely loved Syncbackfree (https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/ ... e-hub.html). Not available for Mac. :(
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:42 pm

gogreen wrote:When I switched from a Windows environment to Mac, I went with Freefilesync for local backup (https://freefilesync.org.) I have it set on my iMac to back up my files to an external drive and to my networked Macbook Air. For cloud backup I use iDrive.

I set Finale to autosave my work every 5 minutes and to make backups when saving files.

On my iMac, TimeMachine is on, and I also use Carbon Copy Cloner to create a bootable entire backup of my hard disk.

For Windows, I absolutely loved Syncbackfree (https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/ ... e-hub.html). Not available for Mac. :(
You’re on High Sierra. If you have no other OS installed and your boot drive is formatted APFS, you can restore your entire system to its state from an hour up to a few days before such a calamity occurs. It takes a few minutes.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=64689

Windows has nothing like this — yet. There’s no way that Microsoft is ignoring the implications.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro