Chord alteration position change

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Finalist
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Finalist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Can I somehow change how chord alterations are displayed? See attached image.
chords.jpg
I know I can use the Suffix editor to painstakingly do this manually for each and every chord suffix. I'm not looking forward to that. It would be much easier if there where some kind of general "alteration horizontal/vertical adjustment" setting somewhere. Please tell me there is :|

If not...is there some other way to simplify this task?

Finale 25 on Windows.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:46 pm

If I understand you correctly, you need to change the layout of the chord suffixes so that
- the font remains unchanged,
- certain suffix characters are moved to a different position horizontally and/or vertically,
right?

Finalist wrote:… I know I can use the Suffix editor to painstakingly do this manually for each and every chord suffix. I'm not looking forward to that. It would be much easier if there where some kind of general "alteration horizontal/vertical adjustment" setting somewhere …
Sorry, but that is the way to do it.
Finale can not “read your mind”, and know what suffix characters you need to move (= the characters you call “alterations”).
In the “Finale-speak” the term “Alteration” means an accidental in a chord symbol.

Finalist wrote:… If not...is there some other way to simplify this task? …
If you already have the needed chord suffixes as a ready made chord suffix library, then you can replace the old suffixes with the new suffixes:

1) Load the (new) chord suffix library into the document.
You can find the new suffixes at the bottom of the dialog box Chord Suffix Selection.

2) In the Chord Suffix Selection, select one of the old suffixes, and click the button “Delete”.
Finale will display a dialog box telling you that the suffix is in use in the document, and will offer you the option of replacing the suffix with another suffix.
Replace the suffix with the corresponding new suffix.

3) Repeat step 2) for each suffix until all the old suffixes have been replaced by the new suffixes.

PS
In the Chord Suffix Editor you can use the options “Number” and “Prefix with”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Finalist

Post by Finalist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for the thorough explanation. Two follow-up question:

1. Do you know when the version that can read my mind will be released? :D

2. Is there any way to change the default chord suffix setup that is loaded with a new document? Or do I have to do this load/replace procedure for each and every document?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Finalist wrote:… 1. Do you know when the version that can read my mind will be released? :D
Finale 1992 could do it.
It could also make coffee.
And cure hot flashes.

You could try to find a copy of Finale 1992 on the web.
If you can not find Finale 1992, try finding Finale 2013, or Finale 2015.
8)

Finalist wrote:… 2. Is there any way to change the default chord suffix setup that is loaded with a new document? Or do I have to do this load/replace procedure for each and every document?
New documents are created from a template.

I do not know, which method to create new Finale documents you are using?

There are several ways:
1) File menu > New > Document with Setup Wizard…
2) File menu > New > Default Document
3) File menu > New > Document from Template…

You could set up a new document with the chord suffixes you need, and save that document as a template for new documents.

If you need your new template available in the Document Setup Wizard, put the template in the folder Document Styles.
If you need your new template as Default Document, put the template in the folder Default Files, and tell Finale to use that file as Finale’s Default File.
If you need your new template as a Template, put the template in the folder Templates.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Finalist

Post by Finalist » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am

So it's saved with the template? Cool, that's the way to go then. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

(...and I doubt that Finale 1992 runs on Windows 10 so I might need to make coffee myself...) :lol: