New F26 announcement

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:50 am

Oh dear. A couple of additions to the expressions and articulations libraries plus improvements to their placement which should have been right from the start? These are things we’ve generally had to take care of ourselves anyway. If they’re touting them as ‘new features’, then I’m afraid they’re running out of the real improvements to the program which will keep it competing with the other contenders out there (and which already have the new features coming in v. 26). Let’s hope MM has a lot of bug fixes up its sleeve...
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Man, I totally agree. These few not impressive "upgrades" are not the entire package. Are they? These look like a JW plug-in.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:42 pm

Well said!
Vaughan

MacOS 10.14.2

Amsterdam

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:45 pm

I think that they are just teasing us. Big improvements to the text tool, expression and articulation designer windows, the shape designer, first and second endings, user-added control points for slurs, a SMuFL-compliant Maestro font, improved default settings all around, and many bug fixes will no doubt all be announced shortly. I can't wait! :D
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am

Or, they are just being modest. Don't want to brag about their new product.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 pm

... not to mention the big improvements to lyric placement, cross-staff accidentals and linked parts.
Vaughan

MacOS 10.14.2

Amsterdam

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3

Post by Christopher Smith » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey, Vaughn!

Do you know something we don't about improvements to linked parts? Or were you being sarcastic?
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

Vaughan

Post by Vaughan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:58 pm

I throw myself on the mercy of the court. Sarcasm is actually a low form of wit and I must admit to making myself guilty of it. It's just really hard sometimes when you see a more-or-less legacy program like Sibelius long since having dealt with the above-mentioned problems which are being touted as NEW improvements to version 26 of Finale. It's even more painful when a fledgeling program like Dorico already does all these things plus much more, and all in a very intelligent and well thought-out manner.
Vaughan

MacOS 10.14.2

Amsterdam

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 pm

..collisions between layers, document related Automatic Music Spacing, beat chart management, adequate beam options... You name it.

I can't believe they have saved all these improvements, including the features mentioned before, to a later information release. So, without any attempt at sarcasm, I'm simply very, very disappointed. And worried. I too am too old to really want to learn a new program.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:31 am

I can't help but notice that before Every Finale Update, the very same general complaints are voiced.
The other guys already have it, Make Music just doesn't care or get it.
And yet here we all are.

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:45 am

oldmkvi wrote:I can't help but notice that before Every Finale Update, the very same general complaints are voiced.
The other guys already have it, Make Music just doesn't care or get it.
And yet here we all are.
Is that so strange?

What I meant by being worried, was that MM:s behavior suggests that Finale soon might be going out of market. I can't interpret it otherwise, and I'm sorry if I can't keep up the positivism some expect on this forum.

I'll keep reading the posts here, and possibly do some posting, as long as I'm not forced to abandon Finale. I guess that's a reason for still being here.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 am

Anders Hedelin wrote:MM:s behavior suggests that Finale soon might be going out of market.
I had hoped that the Dorico challenge would spur MM into action. If new version shows that it hasn't, the handwriting is indeed on the wall.
oldmkvi wrote:The other guys already have it, Make Music just doesn't care or get it.
And yet here we all are.
I'm here because Finale comes closer to meeting my needs than the others. That could change.
Last edited by John Ruggero on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:30 pm

I can't help but notice that some people on this forum regard criticism as something negative in itself. There is a number of us who have been critical in a decidedly constructive way, on the Feature Requests forum. I would think we deserved better, from MM, and from some members of this forum, who might not even have taken the trouble to read the posts of the Feature Requests forum.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:34 pm

The real issue is that bugs and deficiencies in the program that we have been reporting for over 20 years are still broken. It's hard to explain that.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:38 pm

zuill wrote:The real issue is that bugs and deficiencies in the program that we have been reporting for over 20 years are still broken. It's hard to explain that.

Zuill
You put it very politely.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:31 pm

zuill wrote:The real issue is that bugs and deficiencies in the program that we have been reporting for over 20 years are still broken. It's hard to explain that.

Zuill
I am beginning to think they can't be fixed. Since I am no programmer, perhaps the engine, or whatever it's called, that runs Finale is just not capable of doing the things that we keep seeing as "broken". Even if that isn't the reason perhaps it is too costly to hire programers that can fix the broken stuff. Why else would this go on for so long as us old to very old timers complain about.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:40 pm

I would accept full disclosure. If MakeMusic at least admitted the problems, we would then not have people keep remarking about things which are longstanding, known bugs (or shortcomings). It is nice to know when it is not us, but the program. It makes users frustrated when they are trying to do something that the program either promises to do, or should do, and it doesn't. If MakeMusic just posts a list of the broken items, we would then be more at peace about how the program is running, and stop blaming ourselves, or coming here to rant about it.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:30 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:...I am no programmer, perhaps the engine, or whatever it's called, that runs Finale is just not capable of doing the things that we keep seeing as "broken".
I am a programmer. You may be right that the design could make adding some features difficult, but the bugs are bound to be fixable. It is a mystery why both old and new management don't seem to put a priority on that in a product that people are paying a lot of money for.

I'm able to get Finale to do what I want it to do, and it's even mostly fun to use, now that I've learned all the work-arounds and gotchas over the years. But it sure as hell is unfriendly to the new user.

I would be delighted if they added some sort of "magnetic layout", which would make things go quicker. Since Jan appears to have done this with his JW Lua Perfect-Layout plug-in, MM should be able to do it in the program itself.

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:47 pm

motet wrote:
ebiggs1 wrote:...I am no programmer, perhaps the engine, or whatever it's called, that runs Finale is just not capable of doing the things that we keep seeing as "broken".
I am a programmer. You may be right that the design could make adding some features difficult, but the bugs are bound to be fixable. It is a mystery why both old and new management don't seem to put a priority on that in a product that people are paying a lot of money for.

I'm able to get Finale to do what I want it to do, and it's even mostly fun to use, now that I've learned all the work-arounds and gotchas over the years. But it sure as hell is unfriendly to the new user.

I would be delighted if they added some sort of "magnetic layout", which would make things go quicker. Since Jan appears to have done this with his JW Lua Perfect-Layout plug-in, MM should be able to do it in the program itself.
As a programmer, this is entirely possible. Finale is written in C++, which is one of the more fundamental languages for writing applications. Basically, if it can be done in an application, it can be done in C++.

And with the JW Lua, the plugin simply takes Lua code and transforms it into C++ for Finale to run. So the output code of Jan's Perfect Layout Plug-in is 100% usable for the Finale program.*

*If I'm understanding JW Lua correctly.
Nick

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:16 pm

zuill wrote:I would accept full disclosure. If MakeMusic at least admitted the problems, we would then not have people keep remarking about things which are longstanding, known bugs (or shortcomings).
MM's striking lack of transparency and failure to communicate might be the ultimate cause of their difficulties, or a symptom of something deeper: the company may have long been teetering on the brink of failure and is now no longer viable. So the owners will milk it for as long as possible while limiting expenses to the bare minimum.
www.cantilenapress.com

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:18 pm

John Ruggero wrote:…the company may have long been teetering on the brink of failure and is now no longer viable.
Don't forget Make Music is owned by Peaksware. They also own Alfred Publishing, which makes them a major player in US music publishing. As I understand, the other Make Music innovation Smart Music is a proven money maker. Presumably, they also own a big chunk of patents relating to Music XML.

What's happening with Finale, who knows? But I'm sure it will be around for some time.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Anders Hedelin

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:39 pm

N Grossingink wrote:
John Ruggero wrote:…the company may have long been teetering on the brink of failure and is now no longer viable.
Don't forget Make Music is owned by Peaksware. They also own Alfred Publishing, which makes them a major player in US music publishing. As I understand, the other Make Music innovation Smart Music is a proven money maker. Presumably, they also own a big chunk of patents relating to Music XML.

What's happening with Finale, who knows? But I'm sure it will be around for some time.

N.
Possibly the company will survive. Who cares.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:35 pm

...the output code of Jan's Perfect Layout Plug-in is 100% usable for the Finale program.*
Problem is that hasn't been released for general use as far as I can tell. It looks good but.................. :!: :?: