Clearing lyric verse numbers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 pm

I have Finale 25 running on High Sierra. I am working on orchestrating an opera for chamber orchestra and unfortunately, I thought it would be a good idea to use a previous opera with the same orchestration as a template because I'm breaking it up into sections. Unfortunately, I discovered after 500 measures that I'm actually up to verse 6 when I'm actually only on verse 1 for this particular piece. I made a new template for the sections coming up but is there any way I can clear the previous verses? I guess it doesn't really matter in that I just verse 6 for moving the baselines around, (I discovered this through trial and error), but it took me hours just to figure out why it wasn't working.
Capricorn

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:33 pm

I’m a little confused, but you can always clear lyrics by selecting the region, right-click > Clear Selected Items > Lyrics. That takes them out of the score, but they are still in the lyric windows.

To delete or move them around, you can do that in the Lyric windows.

If I misunderstand, I apologize.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:50 pm

It's just that I want the lyrics in this new piece to be classified as "verse 1 " since it's the first lyrics I put into this file, but I made the mistake of using a file from a previous work as a template and figured if I deleted everything, it would be like starting fresh. That's not the case I now know. Finale remembered the lyrics from the previous file so it classified these new lyrics as "verse 6." The old words don't show so I guess it doesn't matter and I can still get it to work as long as I say it's verse 6. I will never use an old file as a template again! I've learned my lesson but I didn't know when I "deleted" everything, some things were still lurking in the background. I just don't want all those layers of invisible things in the file.
Capricorn

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:43 pm

It's okay to have verse 6 be your actual verse 1. Finale doesn't care. If you wanted to use the automatic verse number feature for a multi-verse piece, that might be bothersome. Bit it sounds like you're using the same verse throughout. You can set the baseline by dragging, as you did, or in the pane used for setting baselines. Just set the number for the amount you want.

There's no problem using an old file for a new project. Jus go into the Verse 1 window, delete all the lyrics, and you're good to go.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:42 am

I'm leaving the files I already did that way alone since it does seem to work normally, but I think I'll make up a new template to use for the rest of the piece as I expect I'll end up with around 12 more segments. Thanks for all the advice.
Capricorn

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:32 am

I just did an experiment and deleted from the lyric window all the lyrics left over from the last opera and started fresh and it worked. I can start again with verse 1. So I think I'll revert to using the old files with everything deleted since all my settings are there where they aren't if I start each section fresh.