Trumpet Piccolo transposition

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Use "Key Signature" transposition, not "Chromatic." I've never quite understood the latter, but I think it's perhaps made obsolete by the "keyless" feature.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:15 am

motet wrote:…so I can see how an instrument in a different key might be easier to play in tune depending on the music…
In the Ravel orchestration of "Pictures at an Exhibition" there is a movement entitled "Samuel Goldberg and Schmuyle", with that chattering trumpet solo. The late Adolph Herseth of the Chicago Symphony played the solo on a D trumpet—the fingerings for the many grace notes just fell more "under the fingers" with that instrument. So the choice of a different keyed trumpet might have technical considerations as well.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:22 am

motet wrote:Use "Key Signature" transposition, not "Chromatic." I've never quite understood the latter, but I think it's perhaps made obsolete by the "keyless" feature.
I see. So was THAT the issue?
If I keep it as it is, will it work correctly (Chromatic, -7, 1)? Just curious.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:45 am

What I seem to remember about using chromatic transposition is that there are missing accidentals (there but not visible) when one copies and pastes between instruments with different transpositions. One can use the TGTools plug-in to unfreeze this, but it is a definite hazard and best avoided.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:47 am

N Grossingink wrote:the fingerings for the many grace notes just fell more "under the fingers" with that instrument.
Interesting thinking. However, not being myself a brass player it is just an imagination for me; particularly having in mind it is not truly tonal music.
I will give the musician an alternative, if he/she wishes.
David Ward wrote:there are missing accidentals (there but not visible) when one copies and pastes between instruments with different transpositions.
Good to know, I will keep it in mind. Thank you David.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:36 pm

I finally RTFM and it turns out the interval/alter settings are completely different for chromatic transposition that for key signature transposition. With Key Signature transposition, Interval indicates how many diatonic steps down the music should be written, and Key Alter indicates how many sharps to add to the key signature.

With Chromatic transposition, Interval indicates the musical major or perfect interval to apply to the note, and Alteration indicates a further chormatic modification. So in your case, it would indeed be -7,1, meaning a major seventh down plus a half step up = a minor seventh down.

With Key Signature transposition, you want -6,2, as has been said.

Confusing! My apologies for leading you on a wild goose chase, since you had it right all along. I've learned something, at least.

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:49 pm

No problem, I was just afraid something is going to get wrong with my file. Puh!

Now we all learned something. :wink:

motet

Post by motet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Apparently chromatic transposition was when you had an atonal piece with a concert C key signature and didn't want the transposed instruments to have a key signature either. With the relatively new "keyless" feature, perhaps chromatic has outlived its usefulness.

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 am

motet wrote:That's probably good advice. I've never written for piccolo trumpet, but I do always write for C trumpet. Trumpeters seem to be transposing machines and even if a part is in Bb and they have a Bb trumpet, may choose to play it on a D trumpet or some such.

I'm a (French) horn player and recently started playing trumpet again for fun after decades. What I didn't realize in high school is how hard the trumpet is to play in tune--several notes require throwing the first and/or third valve slides, so I can see how an instrument in a different key might be easier to play in tune depending on the music (Gareth, please correct me if I'm wrong).
Sorry for delay; been away a few days.

It's certainly a factor sometimes when choosing whether to use a 'C' or 'Bb' instrument for certain passages, however this mostly affects lower register work. (although there is an area in the region of the top of the stave (written pitches) where the first valve slide comes into play.)

As the trumpet gets smaller and the pitch gets higher, the effect of the mobile valve slides lessens, and they become less of a consideration. And on top of that, the choice of a higher pitch trumpet is not usually motivated by considerations of lower register playing.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

motet

Post by motet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:38 pm

A in the middle of the staff seems sharp on my instrument, and needs a first valve slide throw.

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:47 pm

Instruments vary. I don't generally have a problem with those 'A's, however on two of my Schilke instruments the Ab/G# in the middle of the stave is flat; no amount of valve-slide juggling will fix that!
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10