Magic mouse 2 and Finale

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jdpmus
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by jdpmus » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 am

On my new iMac with Finale 25 I have an incredible amount of wasted time because of my Magic Mouse 2. For those that are not Mac users, this is the gadget that allows you to "swipe" with a few fingers to go sideways in apps, or to move between pages when web surfing.

I can just barely touch the thing and the score will skitter off to the end, beginning, or wherever it chooses to go. This causes me to stop my work and manually navigate back to where I was working. It also causes problems with speedy entry as the slightest touch will cause speedy entry to sometimes cancel.

I hoping someone else will have had this problem and can provide a workaround. I don't know if it's possible to turn off the mouse gestures for just a single app such as Finale, leaving the gestures to work in other apps where they are needed.

Sorry to bore you Windows folks with this, but I'm hoping that someone can offer some help.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:35 am

You can slow down the movement in the control panel.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Nick Mazuk

Post by Nick Mazuk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:44 am

Are you working in scroll view? I use a trackpad on a MacBook Pro and in scroll view I have similar things happening. In page view, however, scrolling works as I would expect.
Nick

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:55 pm

I went from Windows to Mac last January, and I simply could not use the Magic Mouse 2, even with my adjusting the movement. It jumped all over the screen, and I had to chase down items on which I wanted to click. Very frustrating! I like a large mouse, so I went to a Logitech M510 (newer version). Works perfectly, so far.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

jdpmus

Post by jdpmus » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Will try out your suggestions.

Yes, Mike I know I can slow down the movement but that seems counterproductive in other programs.

I do write in scroll view as I'm dealing with a score for a large ensemble. Will see what happens in page view.

I also used to write using an original Magic trackpad, but the bluetooth connection between the older device and the new iMac is pretty sketchy. Not sure if I want to invest in the new Magic Trackpad 2 if I'm going to have the same results. I have an older wired mouse from my old G3 that I may just leave hooked up and use for my writing sessions.

Thanks for the ideas.