Save as PDF an instrumental part with divisi

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

nacho
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Mac

Post by nacho » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 am

Hi. I am trying to save as PDF an instrumental part from an orchestral score, in which I have written some ossia or alternative passages. However, Finale creates different PDF files for each ossia staff, instead of saving all the music in a single PDF. This is because in order to create the ossia staves I added new instrumental parts in Score Manager, and then hid the empty staves. What can I do to save the music (including ossia staves) as a single PDF file? I use Finale 2012 for Mac. Many thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 am

From your description it sounds like you have edited the score only, right?

What about the linked part?
In the linked part, is the layout right?

I think that you need to edit the linked part, and make the linked part look like the PDF you need.

In the dialog box Manage Parts you can add existing staves to a linked part.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

nacho

Post by nacho » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:01 pm

Many thanks for your reply. I have edited both the score and the linked part. The linked part looks perfect in Finale format, with the added staves for the ossia passages, it's just that Finale does not allow me to save the document as PDF with the page layout I want and creates separate PDF files for each ossia staff.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 pm

nacho wrote:Many thanks for your reply. I have edited both the score and the linked part. The linked part looks perfect in Finale format, with the added staves for the ossia passages, it's just that Finale does not allow me to save the document as PDF with the page layout I want and creates separate PDF files for each ossia staff.
Let me get this straight:

You are viewing the linked part, right?

And the part layout is as you need it, right?

While viewing the linked part you switch to the Graphics Tool, and go to
Graphics menu > Export Pages…
- right?

And the Graphics Tool does not save the part as one PDF file, but rather saves a separate PDF file for each ossia staff, right?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

nacho

Post by nacho » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
nacho wrote:Many thanks for your reply. I have edited both the score and the linked part. The linked part looks perfect in Finale format, with the added staves for the ossia passages, it's just that Finale does not allow me to save the document as PDF with the page layout I want and creates separate PDF files for each ossia staff.
Let me get this straight:

You are viewing the linked part, right?

And the part layout is as you need it, right?

While viewing the linked part you switch to the Graphics Tool, and go to
Graphics menu > Export Pages…
- right?

And the Graphics Tool does not save the part as one PDF file, but rather saves a separate PDF file for each ossia staff, right?
Oh, I understand now. I had previously tried File > Print > Save as PDF, but it works correctly through Graphics Tool. Thank you very much! End of the problem.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Is this a Mac-only issue?
I've just finished printing out the materials for a violin concerto that has multiple instances of divisi staves for the strings, and by defining the parts as containing both staves (or more depending), I can simply choose which "part" I want to print and it prints the whole thing to PDF (or to paper) without having to "export" anything.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Michel R E wrote:Is this a Mac-only issue?
No, this is not an issue on Mac. The original poster has a part they would like to add an additional, ossia stave to. The procedure is, in the Manage Parts window, to create a "New Part" and add the appropriate staves to this "new part" (original stave and ossia stave). Then, the PDF will print regardless of the method chosen—Macintosh "Save as PDF" or Finale Graphics Tool "Export Pages as PDF". I'd suggest that person run down the source of the failure so as to have an understanding of the procedure.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3