Finale and 4K monitor

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:12 am

Friends, I have Mac, but my scores are quite heavy for Finale, and it is very slow. Some of my documents have 1000+ measures, and a lot of information.
On Windows it works much faster.
After the old Win computer has died, I am trying to find a replacement.
The most important is that my BenQ display, that is 4K, can display all details smoothly, such it is case when I connect my Mac.
My old Win couldn't do higher resolution.

What specs are needed in order to achieve that?
I never use Finale for playback. I just need a very smooth and clear display. Is that graphic card that is the most important here?
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Bill Reed
Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bill Reed » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:05 pm

Are we talking laptop of desktop system?

If desktop, you can always replace the video card with something that has the right input type and resolution.
Finale 25, Overture, Sibelius, Notion, Cubase, StaffPad
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Foster 190

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 pm

You don't mention if your Mac is old or recent. Recent Macs are compatible with 4K monitors.
Another remark : MakeMusic mentioned some time ago that Finale 26 would include some improvements concerning high resolution monitors :

"...including collision avoidance issues, Mac performance and hi-resolution monitor work."

So maybe it would be interesting to check Finale 26 when it is released...
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 am

OCTO wrote: What specs are needed in order to achieve that?
I never use Finale for playback. I just need a very smooth and clear display. Is that graphic card that is the most important here?
According to Apple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206587

The current 27” iMac has a 5K screen but, to take advantage of that, you’re going to need Finale 26, promised before year’s end.

I, too, am Mac shopping. My database is being optimized for Mojave and it’s starting to give my 2010 iMac grief. My main screen is ok but the 24” side monitors are hard on these 64 year old eyes. As I’m not ready to retire, it’s time to part with some coin (damit!).

I need a system with three monitors. The 2017 27” iMac can handle one 5K external monitor or two 4K external monitors. The iPad Pro can handle a pair of 5Ks. The current Mac Pro is too expensive cannot do a 5K + two 4K monitors so I took it out of consideration. Since I don’t believe I’ll ever need to edit AV on a large scale, I’m quite content to buy now instead of wait for the 2019 Mac Pro ... whatever that turns out to be. Anyway, the iMac configured the way I want is only $600 less than an iMac Pro that I can use so I may go Pro ... or not.

For kicks, I installed Mojave on my 2010 using the hack. I have an external SSD connected via eSATA. Wow, I sure don’t recommend it — it disables graphics acceleration on non-supported Macs and that looks terrible. Ok... I was able to test compatibility and, being a test SSD, I’m able to reboot into my main drive and get back to work.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

OCTO
Finale Version: 25

Post by OCTO » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:52 am

I have three problems with Mac (MBP late 2015, 15 inch):
1. My mac is Mac Book Pro, and despite the dedicated graphical card, it gets very hot when editing in 4K monitor. This is a known issue, not specifically for just my machine. After 15 minutes fans are running at highest speed.
2. Finale on Mac gets VERY slow with large documents. I mean: very large documents. For me it is impossible to edit score with 2+ seconds delay.
3. Finale on my Mac shuts down unexpectedly. It seems that it cannot handle so large amount of lines, curves, fonts and so on. Somewhere it is just crashing, I am unable to locate where.

4. I have just for that purpose got a new PC Windows machine (!) Lenovo. It is a desktop computer with dedicated Nvidia card. It displays quite good on BenQ 4K, yet not close to retina (on MBP) sharpness when zoomed out. But it works fast, no crashes, no lagging.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation