A complicated repeat layout - De to trompeter

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Attached is a complicated repeat layout from a well known danish trumpet polka:
De to trompeter

I attach the PDF file here for a discussion in MakeMusic’s forum - since MakeMusic’s forum only allows attachment of a few graphic file formats.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

fredvandoren
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by fredvandoren » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:06 pm

I wouldn't want to negotiate this at tempo at sight. It is logical and, if you have time to study it, clear. I guess paper is really expensive in Denmark. :D

Two suggestions. First, replacing one of the two cross-on-circle coda signs with another shape would be safer than the same shape in two sizes. Second, if it were my part, I would color code it (and hope the stage lights would not neutralize the colors.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:42 pm

fredvandoren wrote:… I guess paper is really expensive in Denmark …
The complex repeat pattern comes from the composer’s manuscript.
My guess is that is was not a matter of saving paper, but rather a matter of saving time when (hand-)writing the manuscript.
fredvandoren wrote:… replacing one of the two cross-on-circle coda signs with another shape would be safer than the same shape in two sizes …
Actually it is not “the same shape in two sizes”, but rather two different cross-on-circle coda signs.
You are probably right that it would be safer to replace one of the two coda signs with a completely different symbol.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:19 pm

fredvandoren wrote:I guess paper is really expensive in Denmark.
I think it's been a long standing custom just about everywhere to put some genres of music on a single page, if at all possible. Look at the old march size parts for American marches, those "stock arrangements" for "dance band" of the 1930s, etc. Of course, Peter's example is a bit extreme, but doable; after you give it a long, hard look.

Here are the parts for the original version of Sousa's "Stars and Stripes". Take a look at the Piccolo/Flute parts. Anyone want to try to duplicate those with Finale?
http://ks.imslp.net/files/imglnks/usimg ... sPTSBd.pdf

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm