Stuck Smart Shapes in Finale 25

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Wondering how prevalent this is and what is causing it. It has happened to me twice so far in Finale 25, never in previous versions. Of course, I am now on OS 10.12, so that might be a factor.

On opening the first file of the day, the Smart Shapes seem to be "stuck" on one symbol and refuse to change to anything else. For example, I attempted to insert a slur by selecting the slur icon in the palette (actually I used a hot key, but it worked properly and selected the icon), but I got a pedal mark instead. No amount of selecting and deselecting the icons, closing and reopening the file, or starting and restarting the program changed behavior. Even changing to Finale 2014.5 didn't correct the problem, it just changed to a different wrong Smart Shape when the slur icon was selected!

The solution was a restart of the computer. Then all was well.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Not an uncommon cure, to many "sudden onset" problems.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:45 pm

It's been called the "Virtual Stuck Key Syndrome". It can also happen with the Expression Tool–merely clicking anyplace on the score results in an Expression appearing, as if a Metatool key is being pressed. It's usually one of the odder expressions, like a ffff.

It's been said that logging out and then back in to your User Account will clear things–that might be worth a try. The good news is that it seems to happen rarely. I don't think I've seen it for a few years now and I use Finale heavily.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks Mike and N. It's always good to know it isn't my system malfunctioning.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Graeme Gilmore
Finale Version: Finale 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Graeme Gilmore » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:20 am

I also get that problem from time to time. Usually the metatools work normally.

In addition to the solutions already mentioned, using Windows, I've found that closing Finale and then deleting the files inside the Temp folder often, but not always, solves the problem.

The temp folder is hidden by default and can be found in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp.

I once found a solution on Make Music's site that suggested deleting the FINALE.INI file. This has always seemed too drastic and unnecessary to resolve this problem since it also wipes out many optimizations.
Graeme Gilmore

Finale 27.2, Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins, Copyist's Helper, JW Plug-Ins

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:24 am

I have something similar happen from time to time, but in my case switching to a different tool--e.g. the Selection Tool--and then back solves it.