Staff style name to a grand staff

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

OCTO
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by OCTO » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:02 am

I can change full and abbr. staff names using a Staff Style (for instance changing percussion names, or woodwinds aux instruments).

How can I do the same with grand staff - when I have two staves so I need to edit its name (for instance Piano becomes Cembalo, from measure A to measure B)?
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:16 am

I think this is the way to do it.

In the Staff Tool select the staves where you want the change, then Staff Menu > Groups and Brackets > Remove and only then Add… to create a new group with the desired name and bracket.

It seems a bit convoluted, but if you go back and forth between more than one group which you have already created, that can be done quickly. In the Group Attributes dialogue, select the relevant group then type the appropriate bar numbers.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

OCTO

Post by OCTO » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:38 am

David Ward wrote:I think this is the way to do it.

In the Staff Tool select the staves where you want the change, then Staff Menu > Groups and Brackets > Remove and only then Add… to create a new group with the desired name and bracket.

It seems a bit convoluted, but if you go back and forth between more than one group which you have already created, that can be done quickly. In the Group Attributes dialogue, select the relevant group then type the appropriate bar numbers.
That is indeed the only way to do this. I was just curious if there is anything like "Group Staff Style" in the newest versions.

Thank you David.
www.notat.io - A Forum devoted to the Practice of Music Notation

Harpsi
Operating System: Windows

Post by Harpsi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:16 am

There is also a JW plug-in to help with this procedure. JW split groups or something like that.
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11