Import Libraries

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

etcetera
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by etcetera » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:55 am

I just installed Finale 26 on a Mac, but why do the Libraries need to be imported separately. It's like buying a car that has no wheels. Do I need every Library, or is there one package Library that has dynamics, articulations, tempos, expressions, etc. all wrapped into one import?

Once I import a Library will it stay for every piece from that point on, or do I need to keep importing for every new piece I start?

Nick Mazuk
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Nick Mazuk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:07 am

Libraries are a way from keeping Finale documents from getting bloated.

Basically, the expressions, dynamics, articulations, etc. are document specific and are not applied to all Finale documents. If each of these documents had all these, the size of even an empty document would get unwieldy. It would be like buying a vehicle and 4 tires when your vehicle is a tricycle.

So the best practice is to only load the libraries that you need. This also means that you'll need to reload the library for each document.

However, if you know you'll be the same libraries in every document, then you can save time by creating a document style or template that already has each library loaded.

Hope this helps.
Nick

etcetera
Finale Version: 26

Post by etcetera » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks, Nick. I pretty much use multiple Libraries in every file: dynamics, articulations, smart shapes, expressions. It looks like I'll be making a template.