Unwanted non-Capitalization in Parts Name

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm editing a set of parts, and the parts names--those that are generated by "Score" in the upper left corner, by default--in the parts themselves are showing up with the initial letters in lower case. I want them to be capitalized, but I can't figure out why the lower case thing is happening. In both Score Manager and in Staff Attributes, I see that the instrument names are capitalized, so I don't know what I need to change to make them appear that way in the actual parts.

If I edit it directly in that staff name in the upper left corner, say, changing "violin" to "Violin", then all of the parts become "Violin", not the name for each instrument.

I'm attaching the file in question.

Can anyone tell me what to do?

Mark Carlson
Finale 25.5
Mac OS 10.11.6

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gareth Green » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 pm

If you click the "Document" menu, then "Manage Parts...", then "Edit Part Definition > >", then "Edit Part Name... ", you will find that the part name has a lower-case initial letter. If you amend this, the change will show in your parts.
I cannot explain how it happened in the first place, unless perhaps you generated linked parts when the original part name in "ScoreManager" still had a lower-case first letter, and amended it after parts had been generated … ?
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Thank you, Gareth! It's all fixed now. I'm guessing that the composer of the piece, for whom I am doing the editing, didn't quite know what he was doing when he originally created the parts 20 years ago. I'll pass on your advice.

With appreciation,

Mark