Stems over layers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Thyan
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Thyan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 pm

Hello!
I've been trying for a while now to find a solution to a problem I have when writing music sheets. I find it easier and quicker to use layers. And I do, but I have a problem with the stems on eights or shorter notes: I sometimes want them to go up on both layers but when I set the direction of the second layer notes up, the combination with the first layer notes look like 16th notes. I've added two images, one containing the desired look of the stems when I use 2 layers, and the other one showing how the stems actually look like on my computer.
So, is there a way to use 2 layers on the same staff and make the stems loom like in the desired picture?
Thanks!
Attachments
Actual look - r.JPG
Actual look - r.JPG (239.88 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
Desired look - r.JPG
Desired look - r.JPG (227.77 KiB) Viewed 3899 times

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:37 pm

No. As in "no, there's no way for two LAYERS to achieve the result you're expecting".
But then that's not what you want, either.

Write the notes all in one layer. I have no idea why you're trying to write it in two.
Layers automatically means separate stems with separate directions.
What you're trying to do with layers is wrong.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:47 pm

I agree with Michel, that's the hard way to do it. But, if you insist on layers, you can do that, as well.

JW Staff Polyphony > Layers > Merge
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 2.43.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 2.43.35 PM.png (541.41 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Thyan

Post by Thyan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Thank you very much for your answers.

Well, my reason for trying to obtain the results I mentioned in my first post is the following:
I use to copy old music sheets (cannot photocopy them, because the notes or text is not that visible) so that they can be used by the choir members in our church. I also have to go to work every day and don't have too much time for this. When I write the notes on the computer I can easily use Simple entry tool to insert the soprano notes, using the arrow keys on my keyboard and selecting notes duration using the mouse. But when it comes to the alto notes I have to insert them one by one using the mouse. It goes a much easier if I use layers, but I don't want the stems to go on opposite directions. And if I set the second layer notes' stems to go up, it's OK when the notes are not too far apart or when their stems are simple straight lines, but when I have 8ths or shorter notes...

So... let me ask a different question then: Is there a way to quickly insert soprano and alto notes using the same layer?

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:53 pm

I almost never use Simple Entry -- except for what you describe.

Put in the alto note and then type a number to add the soprano note. So for instance, put in an alto F and if the soprano is A, a third above, type a 3.

Or if you want to do it in the other direction, put in the soprano, then Shift-number to add the alto below.

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Thyan,

I sent you a private message.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Which direction which layer's stems go is a document option.

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:37 am

Bill Stevens wrote:I almost never use Simple Entry -- except for what you describe.

Put in the alto note and then type a number to add the soprano note. So for instance, put in an alto F and if the soprano is A, a third above, type a 3.

Or if you want to do it in the other direction, put in the soprano, then Shift-number to add the alto below.

Bill

This. And use the + - keys afterward to raise or lower the interval if needed.
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

Thyan

Post by Thyan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Hello again. Thank you again for your answers. You already offered me two ways of doing what I want and I am really grateful. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this forum, but it's really worth it ;). I will try to do as you said and will post feedback :).

@miker - I received your message but cannot reply (probably because I'm new to this forum and don't have enough posts :D). I'm from Romania :).