Changing the order of the list of document styles

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SamGroude1
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by SamGroude1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:04 pm

In the Setup Wizard, is it possible to change the order of the list of document styles under "Select a Document Style"? A created a new personalized documents style that I use almost 100% of the time and I would like it to be the first one on the list, so it will already be highlighted and I can just click "next' every time I start a new document. Many thanks!

Finale 26
Mac High Sierra

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:46 am

In the Finder, open a window (⌘N).
Hold down the Option key, and pull down the Go menu.
Because of the Option key you have your user account’s Library folder in the menu. Go to the Library folder.
Path:
(user account)/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 26/Music Files/Document Styles

In the folder Document Styles there are some folders, and your personalized document style.

Also, the folder contains the default document styles named “Engraved Style” and “Handwritten Style”.
Move those two default document styles to another folder.
You could e. g. create a new sub-folder, and name it Default, then move the two default document styles to that sub-folder.

The next time you open your Document Setup Wizard, your personalized document style will be at the top of the list, and it will be selected.
I just tried it, and it works for me.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

SamGroude1
Finale Version: 26

Post by SamGroude1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Peter, Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. The idea of moving the two default document styles into a new sub-folder worked great the first time. But today when I opened the Set-up Wizard, the two default document styles were back at the top of the list. I checked in the document styles folder and the new sub-folder I had created and named "Default Document Styles" was still there and it did contain both “Engraved Style” and “Handwritten Style”. But these two styles also somehow magically reappeared outside my new sub-folder, back in the original list of choices. Any thoughts?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Finale has some internal black magic to make sure certain configuration files are always present. If it finds any that are missing, the program replaces them upon startup. Yours were hidden in a folder, so I guess they came up missing.

I guess you'll have to spend that extra mouse click.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3