Shifty Graphics in PDF

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by Hector Pascal » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:56 am

Hi all,

I have 5 embedded graphics in my score, for a Key to Symbols. They embedded ok, according to the check I did.

Problem is they move out of position when I create a PDF of the score using the method: Graphics Tool>Export Pages>as a pdf file.

Interestingly, they don't move out of position if I make PDF via the File>Print>Pdf route.

But, I need to use the Graphics tool method because I am on a Mac and I want to avoid the problem with it being grey-scale, blah blah blah...

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Cheerio,
H. Pascal.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:46 am

1. The greyscale issue depends on the characteristic of the printer you select in the print menu when you make the PDF. Check the output of one of your PDFs to see if you are getting Black or Grey. You could try using a dummy "generic" Printer queue, or use a dedicated print-to-file queue like CUPS-PDF.

2. It is possible to post-process PDFs to 100% Black using Quartz Filters. You can re-save the PDF in Preview; use ColorSync Utility; or create an Automator Service or Quick Action to convert the file.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:58 am

So far as the shifting graphics go—in Document Options > Multimeasure Rests, there is a checkbox called "Auto Update". Try unchecking this and redoing the PDF. I know this has nothing to do with graphics, but this option seems to cause movement of notational things. Might be worth a try—takes almost no time.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 pm

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the Page View Style can affect the positioning of embedded graphics.

Try e. g.
Looseleaf Style: Current Page Only

It could not hurt to try it.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Hector Pascal
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Hector Pascal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the excellent help.

Here is my workaround regarding the graphics shifting, thanks to all for your suggestions:

1. Restart Finale, open file, use View>PageView Style>LooseLeafSinglePage (Thanks, Peter, it works!)
2. GraphicsTool>Export Pages>PDF
3. Open in Preview (Mac's PDF viewer), re-Save in Preview.
4. Print the PDF using my Brother Laser Printer HL-5200DW at 1200dpi.
5. Admire true black PDF and a good looking printout.

Maybe some of the above is essential, and some less so, but it is working!
Thanks,
Hector.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Hector Pascal wrote:… 3. Open in Preview (Mac's PDF viewer), re-Save in Preview …

… Maybe some of the above is essential, and some less so …
Is step 3. essential ?

When you re-save i Preview, are you applying some sort of Quartz-filter - e. g. because your publisher requires Generic PDFX-3 ?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996