QuickLook mystery in Mac's Finder

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by Vaughan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 pm

I find QuickLook handy for viewing files [more or less] quickly from the Finder. For some reason, on my main computer I get the QuickLook preview but on my laptop I only get a generic Finale icon. I've looked in the three different library folders on both computers: the one in the root directory (which is where the qlgenerator files are) and the one in System and Users (which are both empty) and they have the same contents on both computers. I remember in the past Finale's having qlgenerator files but they are no longer to be found on either computer. Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

I posted this on the official MM forum and Mike Hallorhan suggested I try a safe reboot which resets the desktop's paths and some other parameters. I did this but it didn't help the situation.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Recent versions of Finale contain the QuickLook generator within the application bundle, rather than in a Library folder.

You can get into trouble if you have more than one version of Finale; particularly if the most recent install wasn't the latest version that you have.

This Apple document tells you what Safe Boot does. I'm not sure what "reset Desktop paths" means.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

You can reset quicklook with the following Terminal command:

qlmanage -r