Insert Sharp and Save As shortcuts have same key binding

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

lucasloud2
Finale Version: v25
Operating System: Mac

Post by lucasloud2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi there,

New to the forums... Did lots of searching before posting and could not find anything on this topic.

Using Finale v25 on a Mac. The "save as" command and the text insert for "sharp" have the same keyboard shortcut.

Even when I'm typing in a text box, if I use the "insert sharp" command (shift-cmd-s) sometimes finale decides I am trying to save my document. Sometimes it decides to insert a sharp. This happens seemingly randomly. Sometimes for hours I'll be able to insert sharps using the shortcut and then suddenly, seemingly for no reason, it goes back to "save as".

This seems to me to be a pretty huge and frustrating oversight. Any ideas on how to fix this? Getting very annoyed of wasting time going to Text>Inserts>Sharp every time I need to type a sharp. Making music theory worksheets so I'm having to do this dozens of times per document.

Thanks in advance!

Lucas

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Do you use Auto Save? If so, you're probably "losing focus" if the Auto Save kicks in while you're typing, in which case you get "Save As". I gave up on Auto Save years ago because it would interfere if I was typing. I learned to manually save, lotsa times.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

lucasloud2

Post by lucasloud2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Hey N!

Thanks for the reply. Autosave is turned off. I also just frequently save manually.

Anyone else have any ideas? Is this not happening to anyone else?

Can I bust into a config file somewhere and change the keybindings?

Thanks!
Lucas

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:26 pm

I fussed with this for a while in both 25 and 26 and it always worked as expected, so my guess is that N is right that something in your process is taking focus away from the text box. When it happens, if you type in the text box does focus return, or do you still get the wrong result?

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

lucasloud2

Post by lucasloud2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi Bill!

Yes unfortunately no matter how much I type or create a new text box, I'll still get "save as" coming up instead of insert sharp.

Then randomly I'll get sharps again, for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Then out of nowhere I'll get "save as" for 5 or 10 minutes.

Seemingly no rhyme or reason for when it decides to save as and when it decides to insert sharp. Very annoying...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lucas

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Command-Shift-S has [almost] always been the key command for Save As in Finale and it still is in a number of other Mac applications. Now that particular key command functions contextually in two different settings. If you are viewing a document with any of the tools selected except for the Text Tool, it will function as Save As. You can, in fact, see the key command listed under the File menu. If you have the Text Tool selected AND you have a text box open, the key command under the File menu disappears and it reappears next to Text/Inserts/Sharp. This happens consistently for me. I've never had Finale try to Save As if I have the Text Tool selected and a text window is open. Are you using a macro program that you might have programmed to respond to that particular key command?
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:16 pm

You could just copy the sharp insert to the clipboard and paste it in when needed. If you don't need to do other copy and paste, that is.

For me, as long as the text box is open and active the inserts work all the time. Maybe you have some software that's running in the background affecting the focus when in Finale.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

lucasloud2

Post by lucasloud2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:07 am

Hey Vaughan and N,

No other software or macro programs running whatsoever. Just Finale v25.5 open. Typing in a text box trying to insert a sharp using Shift>Cmd>S and Finale is opening the Save As window.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Lucas

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:46 am

I'm curious why you're inserting sharps in text blocks so much. I don't thinks I've ever done that even once!

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:05 am

lucasloud2 wrote:Anyone have any other ideas?
Use System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts to define a new shortcut for either of the two menu commands. Use "Text->Inserts->Sharp" as the menu command.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:51 am

motet wrote:I'm curious why you're inserting sharps in text blocks so much. I don't thinks I've ever done that even once!
It's useful in many ways. One is for a title. For example, Sonata in C# minor.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:26 am

The thing is, the OP is implying that this is something they have to do often.
Inserting sharps/flats in a text box is a rare occasion thing. you only insert a title once. there's no reason that using the "insert symbol" in the text dialogue should seem so tiring.
I think that is more the question.
I regularly insert sharps and flats in text boxes.. but at most, once, while working on any single piece.
Anyway, it was a legitimate question, as it MIGHT indicate that the user is maybe using the software in a less efficient manner?
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.