Chromatic Notation with note shapes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 pm

Here is an example of using a custom Percussion MIDI Map to create an alternate notation system with chromatic notation - where each scale step is a chromatic scale step, not a diatonic scale step.

Although the staff is chromatic, the note shapes are the (diatonic) note shapes used in notation with Shape Notes.

To see how it works (Finale v26):

1) Quit Finale v26.

2) De-compress the file “Chromatic Staff.xml”, and put it in your user account’s folder for MIDI Device Annotation.
Path (Mac Finale v26):
(user account)/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 26/MIDI Device Annotation

3) Launch Finale v26.

4) Now you can open the example “Herr, schaff mir Recht in mein’r Unschuld.musx”, and examine it.

5) I also attach an empty template: “ChromaticNotation.musx”.
Attachments
Chromatic Staff.xml.zip
(741 Bytes) Downloaded 170 times
Herr, schaff mir Recht in mein’r Unschuld.musx
(18.47 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
ChromaticNotation.musx
(15.65 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Anzick
Finale Version: v26

Post by Anzick » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:38 am

Wow, ok very cool. Thank you. I have absolutely no idea what you did, as like I said, I have no experience with Finale. How would I use this chromatic staff with a non SATB piece? A solo violin piece for example? When I tried to copy and paste the notes like you mentioned it didn't put the notes in the right places. Also, how do I change the clef symbol? By the way, the noteheads are changing dynamically, so that is very cool too. Thank you for all of your help.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:52 am

I will try to explain how it works.
Before you continue, I suggest that you - in Finale - set the Measurement Units to Points.
The layout values will be simpler in Points.

1) MIDI/Audio menu > Device Setup > Edit Percussion MIDI Maps…
In the pop up menu “Select a MIDI Device…”, choose the Percussion MIDI Map “Chromatic Staff”.
Here you can see how the Percussion MIDI Map is set up, with a custom Note Type for each MIDI number.
I suppose that you do understand MIDI numbers ?
The list ends with C5 = MIDI number 84.

To get an idea of the Percussion MIDI Map Editor, try adding a custom Note Type for C♯5 = MIDI number 85.
You can remove it again in case you do not want to keep it.

2) Each chromatic 11-line staff is actually two 5-line staves, with a {top-line to top-line} distance of 36pt.
To see a confirmation of this:
Staff Tool.
Click the lower 5-line staff to select it.
Then go to
Staff menu > Staff Usage…

As you can see, the lower staff’s Distance From Top of Previous Staff is 36pt.

I solved the ledger line problem by using two 5-line staves.

You must paste the music into the lower 5-line staff.
Where the notes go above the C at the top, use the Selection Tool to copy that measure to the upper 5-line staff:
Select the measure, hold down Option, and click the upper staff.
When you have copied the measure with high notes to the upper staff, you can, in the lower staff, change the high notes to rests, and hide the rests.

3) Each 5-line staff uses a Percussion Layout to position the desired note shapes on the specified MIDI numbers.
I created four Percussion Layouts, and I called them
“Chromatic Staff 1, ♮” (= lowest range)
“Chromatic Staff 2, ♮” (= an octave higher than Chromatic Staff 1)
“Chromatic Staff 3, ♮” (= an octave higher than Chromatic Staff 2)
“Chromatic Staff 4, ♮” (= an octave higher than Chromatic Staff 3)

A chromatic staff’s two 5-line staves use two different Percussion Layouts.

For the Bass the lower 5-line staff uses the Percussion Layout “Chromatic Staff 1, ♮”, and the upper 5-line staff uses the Percussion Layout “Chromatic Staff 2, ♮”.

Tenor and Alto are set up using the same two Percussion Layouts:
The lower 5-line staff uses “Chromatic Staff 2, ♮”, and the upper 5-line staff uses the Percussion Layout “Chromatic Staff 3, ♮”.

For the Soprano the lower 5-line staff uses “Chromatic Staff 3, ♮”, and the upper 5-line staff uses “Chromatic Staff 4, ♮”.

(The natural indicates the key of C major. For the key of F major I would name the Percussion Layouts as “Chromatic Staff 1, 1♭”, “Chromatic Staff 2, 1♭”, &c.)

3) To see the Percussion Layout setup, go to
Score Manager > Instrument List
While a staff is selected in the List, go to Notation Style: Percussion, and click the button “Settings…”.
In the Percussion Layout Selection, click “Edit…” to view how the Percussion Layout is set up.

4) In each pair the upper 5-line staff does not display a clef (= in the Staff Attributes, the item Clefs is de-selected).
Only the lower 5-line staff displays a clef.
To see the clef setup, go to
Document Options - Clefs
and click the button “Clef Designer…”.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Anzick wrote:Wow, ok very cool. Thank you. I have absolutely no idea what you did, as like I said, I have no experience with Finale. How would I use this chromatic staff with a non SATB piece? A solo violin piece for example? When I tried to copy and paste the notes like you mentioned it didn't put the notes in the right places. Also, how do I change the clef symbol? By the way, the noteheads are changing dynamically, so that is very cool too. Thank you for all of your help.

I really suggest that you learn to use the program normally, before embarking on this venture. Peter is probably one of the top international experts, and can do thing that many of us dream of. You need to know the basics, before jumping in.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Anzick
Finale Version: v26

Post by Anzick » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Yeah, it's a bit overwhelming and not the easy solution I was hoping for...but will see how well I can figure it out and if it will work for me for now.