Mass change multi measure rest shape?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

wonder
Finale Version: v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by wonder » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:10 am

I very often create drum charts where the first measure of the section is the beat pattern.

The rest of the measures are rest measure but I'll change the symbol to nothing to it's just a measure with a number above it to indicate how long that section is.

I'm having to manually change all the multiple-measure rests to this selection.

Is there a way to mass change the multimeasure rests? And no, I don't want to change the default MM rests because in the other parts that actually are resting, I need those symbols to stay defaulted to the MM rest symbols.
Finale v26, Digital Performer 9, ProTools 12. Mac.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:17 am

There is a way but it requires a bit of planning. Wait until your chart is done, and after the parts have been generated, when all MM rests including the drums have the usual shape. Then go to to Document Options > MM Rests and change the shape to nothing. This will not affect existing shapes throughout the score. Then, go to the drum part and click beside the staff with the Selection Tool—the entire staff highlights. Right click on the highlighted area and choose MM Rests > Create. The shapes on the drum part will change to the blank character. For safety's sake, go back to Document Options and reselect the usual MM rest shape so the file defaults to that.

I should point out that professional copyists usually don't use this shortcut. Each measure appears complete, even if it only contains a 1 bar repeat - "%". Music notation is a "spatial" thing. For 8 bar or 12 bar phrases, number the 4th, 8th and 12th repeats with a small number above the staff, centered on the measure. I'd suggest you try to pick up a copy of the bible —"The Art of Music Copying" by Clinton Roemer. It's long out of print but available used at a few internet sellers for $30-40.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

wonder
Finale Version: v26

Post by wonder » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 pm

N Grossingink wrote:There is a way but it requires a bit of planning. Wait until your chart is done, and after the parts have been generated, when all MM rests including the drums have the usual shape. Then go to to Document Options > MM Rests and change the shape to nothing. This will not affect existing shapes throughout the score. Then, go to the drum part and click beside the staff with the Selection Tool—the entire staff highlights. Right click on the highlighted area and choose MM Rests > Create. The shapes on the drum part will change to the blank character. For safety's sake, go back to Document Options and reselect the usual MM rest shape so the file defaults to that.

I should point out that professional copyists usually don't use this shortcut. Each measure appears complete, even if it only contains a 1 bar repeat - "%". Music notation is a "spatial" thing. For 8 bar or 12 bar phrases, number the 4th, 8th and 12th repeats with a small number above the staff, centered on the measure. I'd suggest you try to pick up a copy of the bible —"The Art of Music Copying" by Clinton Roemer. It's long out of print but available used at a few internet sellers for $30-40.

N.

Great post. thank you.
Finale v26, Digital Performer 9, ProTools 12. Mac.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 pm

One important thing I forgot to mention:

After you're done with the file and all MM Rests are in place, when you go to MM Rest Options to make the blank shape, uncheck the option Update Automatically and leave it unchecked. You don't want them updated so you can modify them to get them to display as you'd like.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3