How do I switch the multimeasure shape?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Mister Bebop
Finale Version: 26.0.0.653
Operating System: Windows

Post by Mister Bebop » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:21 am

I like the multimeasure rest shape in this first file:
Maestro Multimeasure Rest.jpg
I'm working on another score and can't seem to change the shape of the multimeasure rest (this one started in Broadway copyist):
Broadway Copyist Multimeasure Rest.jpg
I have searched through the user manual and have tried dozens of things but still can't figure it out. Please help me! :D

I'm using Finale v26 on a Windows computer.

Thanks in advance for coming to my rescue! You folks have never failed me yet, and I really appreciate all the help I get here. Thank you!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:24 pm

You tell that you can not “change the shape”.
If I understand you correctly, you do not want to edit the shape, but rather replace it, right?
And the replacement shape is already present in your document, in the dialog box Shape Selection, right?

1) Document menu > Document Options > Multimeasure Rests
In the pane Shape, in the field for the shape’s number, delete the number in the shape number field.
Then, click the button “Select…”.
You get to the Shape Selection.
Select the desired shape, ans click OK.

2) Selection Tool.
Select All.
Edit menu > Multimeasure Rests > Create for Parts/Score…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks so much, Peter!

Now, there's one more thing . . . I'd like for the symbol to be wider and to adjust itself like it did in my Maestro example above. This is what I'm getting now:
Revised Broadway Copyist Multimeasure Rest 1.jpg
Revised Broadway Copyist Multimeasure Rest 2.jpg
It would appear that these symbols are dependent upon the font, and for some reason the Maestro would extend much wider than this Broadway Copyist.

Any ideas on how to fix that? I would actually prefer to use the Maestro version (more square, less rounded) if at all possible. Thanks again in advance for your help!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:06 pm

The shape used in the Maestro Default file is a Shape created with 3 lines grouped together. Lines in the shape designer can stretch with the measure. With the Broadway Copyist file, the MM rest symbol is a Character. Characters don't stretch. If you want a stretchable MM rest shape, choose one like in the Maestro Default file. If you want all the MM rests to have the stretchable symbol, choose 1 instead of 51 in Document Options for the shape for MM rests. Hopefully you are using the same starting template I did for my test. If this doesn't work, we can try another way to get the shape into your file.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Thank you so much! This is the greatest forum on earth! I sure do appreciate you guys and your willingness to help!!!