Templates vs Default Doc vs Doc Styles

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

wonder
Finale Version: v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by wonder » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 am

The way I've always used Finale is by simply using and updating 1 template. I have a "Master Template" that I use for all new charts that is setup the way I like it.

I've run into a few issues where if I need to add a different instrument or part, that part has to be re-formatted in the Page Layout tool.

Do you use templates? Or Default Docs? Or Doc Styles?

I'm looking to expand my work flow and wondered if I'm using an antiquated system.
Finale v26, Digital Performer 9, ProTools 12. Mac.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:26 am

I think the templates have instruments, document styles don't (except a default single staff). The latter are used in the Setup Wizard, where you can add your own set of instruments.

They all seem to be the same file type: .ftmx, which in fact is the same format as a .docx file. I think the special thing about .ftmx is that if you open it, it names the open document Untitled, forcing you to create a new file and thus avoid accidentally overwriting the template.

I just use a custom template with my typical instrumentation and add or subtract them from there. The template doesn't have parts--I create them much later. I find it more convenient to just open the file and be careful, so I've named it .docx instead of .ftmx. This also makes it easier to edit the template and save.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:38 pm

I use templates. Start off with the typical instrumentation you use—keep a clean, unused copy as the master and copy this file to use for each project. You can use this file as a basis for differing instrumentation—make a copy, add or delete staves as necessary, adjust the page layout to accomodate fewer or more staves, and save a clean copy.

The different file formats Motet speaks of are for the Windows version only—Mac has no equivalent. Still, nice to know.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3