"reverse" grupetto or turn

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

HansBerkers
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by HansBerkers » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:41 am

Hello,
I know how to notate a grupetto. But what I need now is what I would call a "reverse grupetto".
The normal symbol for a grupetto (the musical ornament that consists of upper second, main note, lower second and then main note) looks like a capital S turned 90 degrees counterclockwise.
The reverse grupetto (used in older music) consists of the lower second, main note, upper second and then main note. It's symbol also looks like a turned capital S but now 90 degrees clockwise.
I can't figure out how to get this one without looking at other fonts.
I work in Finale 25.5 on a Mac

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:05 pm

You probably know that the reversed gruppetto symbol can be found in several other fonts.
HansBerkers wrote:… It's symbol also looks like a turned capital S but now 90 degrees clockwise …
Not “turned 90 degrees clockwise”, but rather flipped.
You can not get the desired symbol by rotating the glyph.
Instead the glyph must be flipped.

If I understand you correctly, you are using the Maestro font, right?

And you want to use a “Maestro font looking” version of the reversed gruppetto symbol, right?
You do not want to use another music font - because a character from another font will look different from the Maestro font characters, right?

To get the reversed gruppetto symbol, Maestro-style, you must use a horizontally flipped version of the Maestro font.
See the two attached font files.

The Mac version is MAESTRO_HFa.
MAESTRO_HFa.ttf.zip
(21.73 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
The Windows version is MAESTRO_HF.
MAESTRO_HF.ttf.zip
(21.57 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
This {Horizontally Flipped Maestro} font was done by Finale user Mark Wibrow.

Mark did not consider the font a copyright violation - but I suspect that Mark was wrong.
To “play it safe” I would consult MakeMusic before using the flipped font.

By The Way:
A horizontally flipped Maestro font is useful for many other layouts, like e. g. Bach’s retrograde canons.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

HansBerkers
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by HansBerkers » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi Peter,
Indeed, the symbol I need is a flipped version of the original one.
You are assuming right: I use the Maestro font, I therefore want a "Maestro" looking font and not another set.
I will take a look at the attached file.
Thanks for your help.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by elbsound » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:43 pm

You could check this "hard-to-find" music symbol catalog.
It includes about 100 music fonts with the inverted turn symbol - some look exactly like or at least extremly similar to the Maestro symbol.
https://elbsound.studio/catalog-of-musi ... rninverted

Jan
https://elbsound.studio

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:42 pm

HansBerkers wrote:...The normal symbol for a grupetto (the musical ornament that consists of upper second, main note, lower second and then main note) looks like a capital S turned 90 degrees counterclockwise.
The reverse grupetto (used in older music) consists of the lower second, main note, upper second and then main note. It's symbol also looks like a turned capital S but now 90 degrees clockwise.
Just to be clear: the grupetto does not look like a 90-degree capital S, but rather a mirror-image S. The reverse grupetto you seek indeed looks like a rotated, unmirrored S (doesn't matter which direction).

If you don't want to use the perhaps-pirated reversed-Maestro font Peter attached, if you download the Sibelius demo you'll get the Opus Ornaments font, which has both grupetti.