Copying lyrics into other "layers"

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

geleybou
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by geleybou » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Finale 2011b Windows

Good Morning,

I have accidentally written the syllables for a vocal melody in the second line beneath the first, where you can typically enter in a second verse. I know this isn't technically what we refer to as a different layer, as those are the options for multiple voices, but I wasn't sure of the technical name of the location.

My question is, is there a quick way to copy a whole set of lyrics from one line to a different line? I had to copy the syllables back in individually, but I was wondering if there might be a shortcut to save me some time in the future.

Thanks,

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 pm

I'm a little confused. Did you enter them in a different verse?

If you post the document, so we can see what you did, we can make suggestions. In the lyric window, you might be able to cut them from that verse, paste them into the "correct" verse, and use Click-Assign to re-enter them.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Yes, imagine that the words for the first verse were accidentally entered in the second verse. This really was an issue in another document when I tried to put in the chorus but found myself still on the "verse 2" line. So I had to manually re-enter those lyrics on the verse 1 line. Mostly this is a concern for formatting reasons.

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm

I suppose the click-assign is the quickest way unless there is sort of a move/copy layers kind of trick like you can do for swapping different voices on the staff.

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:53 pm

Does it really matter which verse the lyrics are in? You can change the baseline of verse 2 to be the same as verse 1. I do this all the time in larger works like operas; I put each aria into a separate verse to keep the lyrics window from getting too full, and then I just adjust the baselines of the different verses to be all the same. I even have a macro for this.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:31 pm

You can organize the lyrics in Verses.
You can also organize the lyrics in Choruses and Sections.

There is no “Finale-technical” difference between Verses, Choruses and Sections.

In the Document Options you can set different default fonts for Verses, Choruses and Sections.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

geleybou

Post by geleybou » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:16 pm

I wanted them all on the same line so that when I use the third arrow to shift the lyrics they all go at the same time. Then I move to the second verse to move those. I understand finale doesn't know what is a verse and what is a chorus. It only matters that the lyrics are all in the same "line" as I can move the entire document at once instead of manually adjusting different lines.