Microtonal key signature issue

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Krishna Nagaraja
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Mac

Post by Krishna Nagaraja » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:45 am

Hello everyone!
On Finale 2012 for Mac, I need to write a piece with a rather simple nonstandard key signature, displaying the following accidentals:
- F sharp
- C 1/8+ natural (the natural sign with the arrow pointing up)
I tried to follow procedures I found online, and of course I used the help provided by the online Finale manual.

Here are the several steps I've taken:
- mapped the microtones in the 24-step scale;
- assigned characters to the List Elements according to the chart I included;
- entered the Accidental Order Amount I needed, namely the two abovementioned, followed by 0 amounts assigned to all remaining units.

The result is a key signature I can select clicking once on the cursor in the Nonstandard Key Signature Dialog Box, which however displays a natural sign on the G which I don't want (see attached screenshot). The reasons for this are unknown to my unexperienced microtonal Finale skills...

How do I get rid of it? How is possible to have just 2 accidentals displayed instead of 3? It seems that in this case the possible key signatures (accessible through clicking on the cursor up or down in the scroll bar), always have multiples of 3 accidentals.

Can anybody help?

Thanks and all the best,

Krishna
Attachments
7.png
7.png (81.62 KiB) Viewed 2177 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Krishna Nagaraja,

In your screen shot it says:
Number of Accidentals: 3

I would try to adjust the number of accidentals, via the vertical scroll bar.
Attachments
8.png
8.png (82.6 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Krishna Nagaraja

Post by Krishna Nagaraja » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm

Dear Peter,

I had tried it already, but everytime I scroll up or down it adds or removes 3 accidentals at a time...

In the attached screenshots you can see what happens if I click 1 or 2 times above the vertical scroll bar (I am not allowed to drag the scroll bar at will).
Attachments
2.png
2.png (55.94 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
1.png
1.png (51.75 KiB) Viewed 2113 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Krishna Nagaraja wrote:… everytime I scroll up or down it adds or removes 3 accidentals at a time...

In the attached screenshots you can see what happens if I click 1 or 2 times above the vertical scroll bar (I am not allowed to drag the scroll bar at will).
What works for me (using a touch pad):
Position the cursor anywhere in front of the dialog box, and scroll vertically with two fingers.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Krishna Nagaraja

Post by Krishna Nagaraja » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Krishna Nagaraja wrote:… everytime I scroll up or down it adds or removes 3 accidentals at a time...

What works for me (using a touch pad):
Position the cursor anywhere in front of the dialog box, and scroll vertically with two fingers.
Dear Peter,
that worked for me as well, thanks SO much!
Sometimes seemingly big problems have very simple solutions!
For the record, in the meantime I have just found out a workaround way: I changed the tone center of the key signature, namely I selected a 2-accidental Major Key signature from the Key Signature dialogue box, then selected non-standard and the non-standard key signature dialogue box had already the desired amount of accidentals, namely 2 (F and C sharp). At that point, I simply assigned the natural+ sign to the second accidental and the trick was done.

Best,
Krishna