Adjustments in parts not showing correctly in score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Mister Bebop
Finale Version: 26.0.0.653
Operating System: Windows

Post by Mister Bebop » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:58 am

I've gotten used to using linked parts now, after several months in Finale v25 coming from Finale 2006, but there's something about it that I find extremely annoying, and it's probably just a setting that I don't know how to search for and remedy. So I'm asking this forum.

When I go through each measure in a part and fine tune the note-to-note spacing and the slurs and the ties and everything else, when I'm all done with all the parts and ready to take that file and go to make a printable score, I seem to have to go through every single measure of every single part in the score and do all (or almost all) of the same tweaks in the score, basically having to do everything twice.

It sure would be nice (and it would seem that there has to be a way) to make those adjustments once in each individual part and not have to do them all over again in each measure of each part in the score.

Please help me find this solution. Thanks so much (in advance) for your help!

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:11 am

Edits in the part are just for the part. If you want the same edit in both score and part, do those edits in the score.

Edit: Oh yeah. If you hold Ctrl down while editing in the part, then the Score will show the same adjustment. Forgot about that.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 am

Do the score first.

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 am

Yeah, it's not the answer I was hoping for but that's what I'm trying to do. The only thing is that when all the parts are in the score you don't see what they look like in the measures. Measure widths in the score tend to be wider than in the parts, and you can't see what the problems are going to be due to crowding a lot of information in a narrower measure.

I also notice that text expressions attached to notes don't appear in the parts anywhere near the way the do in the score. Fortunately, when you click its handle it draws a dotted blue line to the note where you want it to be, but that's kinda jive, too.

If any Finale developers are reading this, it sure would make sense for adjustments to parts to also appear in the score. Right now this is a source of frustration and much extra time fine-tuning two things when I would've thought that once was enough.

Anyway, thanks for those answers, even though it's a huge disappointment that Finale is kinda backwards like this.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 am

It works the way it does because parts and score look different. In the score, the notes in all parts are aligned vertically, so one part influences another, so you don't want the spacing to be the same as in the part. Have a look at a professionally published orchestra score.

I'm not sure what you mean about expressions. Can you provide an example? Perhaps you're doing something in not quite the most efficient way.

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 am

Mister Bebop wrote:Yeah, it's not the answer I was hoping for but that's what I'm trying to do. The only thing is that when all the parts are in the score you don't see what they look like in the measures. Measure widths in the score tend to be wider than in the parts, and you can't see what the problems are going to be due to crowding a lot of information in a narrower measure.

I also notice that text expressions attached to notes don't appear in the parts anywhere near the way the do in the score. Fortunately, when you click its handle it draws a dotted blue line to the note where you want it to be, but that's kinda jive, too.

If any Finale developers are reading this, it sure would make sense for adjustments to parts to also appear in the score. Right now this is a source of frustration and much extra time fine-tuning two things when I would've thought that once was enough.

Anyway, thanks for those answers, even though it's a huge disappointment that Finale is kinda backwards like this.
Did you read what I said in my last post? if you hold the Ctrl key while making adjustments, it does them in both part and score while working in the part. Did you try it out?

Zuill

encephalon
Finale Version: 26.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by encephalon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:40 am

zuill wrote:[
Did you read what I said in my last post? if you hold the Ctrl key while making adjustments, it does them in both part and score while working in the part. Did you try it out?
Paul, I did not know that! Thanks for the huge tip. That will save me a bunch of time.
encephalon
San Francisco, CA
Finale 26.1
macOS Mojave

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:42 am

Mac might use a different modifier key.

Zuill

P.S.: I looked it up. Command key.

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:00 am

zuill wrote:

Zuill
Oh, okay, I missed your edit/addition to your post. I've been trying that and it works for some things but not others. Tie alterations are not possible while holding down the ctrl key, for instance. Also trying to modify smart shapes (slurs, hairpins) also doesn't seem to work while holding down the ctrl key.

Another thing I'm battling in this particular job I'm working on is that it came over from an XML file and apparently many of the text expressions don't translate into properly placed dynamic markings, etc.

But I'm buried in work and I do appreciate all the helpful people around here, so thanks everybody!

zuill

Post by zuill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:10 am

Well, without seeing your file it's hard to know what might work and what might not. As far as Smart Shapes, the ctrl key approach works for me. By the way, the instruction is in the manual, but doesn't say much beyond what I've mentioned.

Zuill

Mister Bebop

Post by Mister Bebop » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:37 am

zuill wrote:Well, without seeing your file it's hard to know what might work and what might not. As far as Smart Shapes, the ctrl key approach works for me. By the way, the instruction is in the manual, but doesn't say much beyond what I've mentioned.

Zuill
I'm not sure what I did that led me to believe that this didn't work with smart shapes . . . this does seem to work, so thanks for helping me "discover" that feature!