The Case of the Missing Text Blocks

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

billrow
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290
Operating System: Windows

Post by billrow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm

I find that text blocks I create sometimes disappear from view and access, both on the scroll and page views. I can see them with their IDs by scrolling through all text blocks using the Edit Text window. But there doesn't seem to be any way to change the Frame Attributes, which I assume might allow me to place them back into a visible location. I found a post from 2007 suggesting that this might be a bug. If so, I would hope it would have been fixed after 11 years! I created a fairly complex text block with info on how to split vocal parts. After doing some reformatting of the document layout, it was gone. I was able to find it with the Edit Text window, copy the text, and paste it into a new text block. Then the same thing happened again to that new block. There are plenty of other "orphaned" pieces of text that I now realize I had to recreate when they disappeared before. It seems like there should be additional functionality in the Edit Text window to change/recover those lost Text Blocks. Some other way to handle this??

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:30 pm

I wonder why they're getting lost. Measure- or page-attached? Do you use two monitors, by any chance? Can you perhaps attach a file exhibiting the problem?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:20 pm

Zoom out until you can't anymore—till the page is postage stamp size in the corner of the screen. Does that reveal any text handles?

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

billrow
Finale Version: Finale 25.5.0.290

Post by billrow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 am

Thanks for the responses. I do use a large monitor, but it just echoes the same as the laptop monitor, so I don't think that would cause a problem, such as text moving to a second monitor. I tried shrinking the display very tiny, but still can't see more text blocks. The big text block is page-attached, but I think I have had the same problem with some that are measure-attached.

I'll try to come up with an example when I can. But for now I just did a third version of the text block that keeps disappearing, created my PDF file from the music, and have sworn to not fiddle with that chart anymore!

Thanks!