Turn mysteriously sounding in music

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Capricorn
Finale Version: Finale 25X
Operating System: Mac

Post by Capricorn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 pm

Suddenly a turn sounds in my file (Finale 25X on High Sierra) that came from nowhere. It doesn't sound when I don't use human playback but does when I use any of the other styles. I've tried just about everything to try to get rid of it but it just won't go away. There's something lurking in there that I can't see. I guess it doesn't matter since I'm only using the notation for manuscript but it's driving me crazy trying to figure it out. Does anybody have any idea why it would do this? I'll attach three measures I copied and pasted into another file.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:52 pm

I just answered my own question but I don't really understand it yet. I was putting in rehearsal letters and I ran out so I started making my own. I was up to "T" and apparently, that translates to "turn" in Finale. I'll have to figure out how to break the connection but at least now I know the root of the problem. There are so many layers in Finale (and I don't mean the notation layers!)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Why not just use the Auto-Sequence Rehearsal mark expression? It doesn't cause the same misbehavior. After entering the mark, right click and choose to start the sequence at T.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Once again, I thank you. It worked! I had tried to fix it by creating a "T" through "shape" but that's a lot more cumbersome and didn't look the same.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:31 pm

I seem to recall this is a Human Playback bug.

Capricorn

Post by Capricorn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:37 pm

It seemed to be because I couldn't get rid of it until I followed Mike Rosen's advice and put in the T the right way. Since I went from Finale 2009 - 25 in one fell swoop, I missed the gradual instructions. I sure do like 25X, though (as long as I can stay on top of things).

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:43 pm

The reason HP messes things up is that the font slot for T and the font slot for the turn is the same, albeit in 2 different fonts. One would think the font name could have been programmed into the HP settings. I think the reason it wasn't is that the same slot is used for different music fonts (Maestro, Engraver, etc.) Thus, maybe the slot was used and no reference to font named. However, this then affects the text fonts as well.

Oh well. I guess it would be too much to ask to have HP fine tuned. If this were the only HP problem I suppose it would be simple, However, there are many issues with HP, so we just learn to deal with it, or not use it.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."