Finale 25 freezes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 pm

If I leave a Finale 25 file or two open for a while and come back later, I sometimes find that the program has become inoperable. The pull down top menus don't pull down, the file windows themselves don't change color to show they have been selected, and to top it all off, even the apple menu will not pull down so I can force quit. Only if I move to another application can I pull down the apple menu and force quit Finale.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there is a fix. None of my other applications exhibit this behavior, nor do I remember it with previous Finale versions, but I am now using OS 10.12.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Hate to say this, John; I actually didn't have this in Finale 25 but I do in v. 26, although my symptoms are slightly different. If I leave Finale 26 running, regardless of whether or not a file has been loaded, and the computer goes to sleep, when I come back to it, Finale has 'unexpectedly quit' and I'm confronted with an error window listing the transgressions Finale has apparently committed. I've made a habit of quitting Finale every time I need to leave the computer.
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:14 pm

FWIW I don't have this at all with Finale 25.5 on two computers both running OS 10.13.6 (I don't yet have F 26 or OS 10.14).

I try to remember to close Finale overnight, but sometimes I forget. Otherwise, I often close and re-open Finale files as soon as things start to go slow. I try to remember to restart both computers once a week (but again sometimes forget). My SSD MacBook goes through frequent restarts when I am on the move, but not otherwise. My spinning HD desktop Mini is another matter. I don't actively put either of them to sleep, but when they take the mood they sometimes seem to sleep of their own accord.

Despite this haphazard way of working, I've never had the problems described.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Thanks, Vaughan and David. I guess it is something peculiar to my setup. No big deal, of course, but it was startling at first, especially when it appeared that there was no way to force quit!
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."