Finale and Alt-Combinations

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Yuval
Finale Version: 2014.5 (german)
Operating System: Windows

Post by Yuval » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello everybody,

I need to enter lyrics like in the attached example (the "o/e"). I used to do it with "alt + 0364" on my old laptop, which had a numpad. Unfortunately, my new one doesn't, so using Autohotkey I wrote a script that connects the number keys above the letters to the numpad-numbers. In Word it works without problems (nearly, I have to use another combination, eg Alt 0771), but in Finale it still doesn't work.
Any ideas from you?

I use Finale 26, Windows 10, on an Asus Zenbook.

Thanks and regards!
Yuval

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Alt+ doesn't seem to work right in the lyrics window for me either. You could try copy-and-pasting from Word (with Ctrl-V, not Insert).

You might be interested in WinCompose, a great free utility that adds a compose key to Windows. It's got hundreds of characters programmed in, and you can even add custom ones. One types the compose key (user-definable) and then a couple of (usually mnemonic) keystrokes.

Your character is usually rendered

Ŭ

in most fonts. One would type the compose key and the bU to input it. Unlike Alt+, it works straight into the Finale lyrics window.

https://github.com/samhocevar/wincompose

Yuval
Finale Version: 2014.5 (german)

Post by Yuval » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Thank you! That sounds good! :-)

I just decided to modify the font, for this specific case it seemed to be the easiest solution. But I need it also sometimes for adding figured bass, and for this I'll try your solution :D