Printing out full orchestra score

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Lebovitztap1
Finale Version: Finale
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lebovitztap1 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:41 pm

I do not know how to print out a full Orchestra score. When I try to do it everything is too small because there is so many instruments.

I would appreciate any detailed help possible from beginning to the print. Thank you very much.

Michael

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Sounds like you need to print on bigger paper. If not all instruments are playing on a system, you can hide their empty staves, which helps, too.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:40 pm

1) Paper size is crucial for printing orchestral scores. I can't help you with US paper sizes, but if you are in most other countries a full orchestral score would very often be printed to either B4 or A3. If it has already been set-up on screen in another A or B size (eg A4) this is easy to change by % as the proportions remain the same.

2) Things are made easier (fewer staves required allowing a larger scale of the system) if you hide any staves that are not used on each system and if you combine two identical instruments (eg 2 Flutes, or 2 B flat Clarinets or 2 Trumpets) each onto a single stave, using layers or voices as necessary when the parts diverge in rhythm &c. Individual pages can use different system scaling, although preferably not so different as to confuse the eye. Page scaling can also be used if you prefer. System scaling does not affect the size of page attached text, page scaling does.

3) There's much, much more, but this might just start you in the right direction, if I've correctly understood what is your problem.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6